Finding Inspiration from Boris Vallejo

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 2 Finding Inspiration from Boris Vallejo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lynn
    Participant

I have always loved art, photography, dance and fantasy. Ever since I was a little girl and could remember, I always loved taking pictures. I took photography classes in high school and just fell in love with it back then. I cannot draw, so my art was developed with film or printed from my computer. As I became older, my visions of art became more and more concentrated on two different items in my life. One being People in my life. I love to see the different people’s shapes, sizes and expressions of all walks of life. My family knows when I come for a visit; I will have my camera in my hand! The second would be my love for Fantasy Artwork. I have always loved fairies, hummingbirds, butterflies, and rainbows.
    With that little bit of background on myself, I would have to say that my favorite artist is Boris Vallejo. He has created some of the most graceful fantasy and erotica genres ever to be oil painted on board. His work is always so in depth and colorful. One of my favorite oil paintings of his would have to be from his 1995 collection and it is called The Piranha. This painting is full of mind provoking thoughts. It reflects on the good with the Hummingbird, the Bad with the Piranha, and the Beauty with the woman. The well- muscled female barbarian has tamed the piranha well enough to ride on his back and the humming bird comes down to be sure she is not being harmed in any way. The female barbarian who might have been engaged in a previous battle has a face that is sorrow stricken or showing shame of something that has taken place. Maybe defeat? This leaves us wondering what her battle was or what has just happened to her that made her look so mournful. At least this is what I am seeing in this painting. We have all been in a battle of some sort in our lives. I like this painting because even though she shows on the outside that she is very muscular and strong, on the inside could be quite the contrary.

I think the greatest importance of Boris Vallejo’s paintings to me is all of his wonderful color schemes he uses. They are intensely vivid when it comes to the rainbow style of coloring he uses for his artwork. Even his darkest paintings have a lot of different color in them; you just have to see it through your own eyes. Few have ever pushed the limits as does Boris with his beautiful maidens and fearsome monsters. I also think it’s important to keep the imagination going strong. Boris does just that with the heavy fantasy elements along with the erotic scenes. He always keeps you guessing on what the next painting will show. The majority of his paintings are nude but without sexual advances. The male or female barbarians are usually ready for battle. Keep your eyes opened and hue bright and your mind will follow with much delight!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for your assignment.

The assignment was to get you thinking about an artist and how they influence you.

Is this the 1995 piece you are referring to?

http://www.imaginistix.com/details.cfm?Id=306

This artist has quite a talent for combining color and composition.

Lynn
    Participant

That is the artwork. I’ve always had his calendars or some sort of his art.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Lynnie,

The trick now is to apply what you’ve learned from this artist to your photography.

From composition to color…

😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.