hard vs. light

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    icyliza
    Participant

Hi, I’m sorry it took me a while to continue my class been busy for a while with my family..anyway heres my assignment for hard and light topic..Hope you’ll like it.. ^_^

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful work on this assignment.

This assignment asked that you show your understanding of the differences in hard and soft lighting and you’ve done just that.

Your first photograph uses diffused, soft lighting to help properly expose your subject and setting. Diffused lighting is less directional (i.e. light is randomized) and therefore it wraps around your subject better. You have an obvious key light coming in from the left hand side (as can be seen on the young girls face), but the right side of her face is still properly exposed and there are no distracting or unsightly shadows. This is a great photograph with great lighting.

You’ve also incorporated other photographic elements to help enhance your composition. For example, you’ve used a tree to create a “frame within a frame”. It acts as negative space to help you not only simplify your composition but also help draw your audiences’ attention towards your main subject. You’ve also used a shallow depth of field to help you isolate your foreground from your background. It’s great to see you carrying the lessons learnt in previous lessons forward. Great work.

Your hard lighting photograph is different than we expected, but it’s still considered hard lighting. You have great use of object placement, color and framing. Although the image is predominantly a silhouette, there is still a small area where the light is interacting (i.e. reflecting) with the side of one of the buildings. This is what we wanted you to explore with hard lighting. How does it differ to soft lighting in its interaction with objects in your composition.

Great job on this assignment. I look forward to seeing your next project!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.