inspiration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nigel
    Participant

The dwarf smoking and holding a bunch of flowers (by Bruce Davidson) doesn’t just resonate with me, it well and truly smacks me about the head and tells me to get out there, keep it simple and take pictures. (Whether supported by fact or not), the image inspires me on the following levels:

1. To get an image like this (which is my personal target), you need to seek interesting subjects (or be ready should they arise…) then get immersed in the whole situation. This allows you to be part of and capture the essence of the environment rather than being a “tourist taking pictures”. The resulting image is therefore “real” and completely captivating. The image is part of a photo-documentary and being in a position to turn one image into a series allows each one to not only be a strong image in its own right but to also be part of a bigger image with greater perspective and interest.

2. The image is also taken (I am fairly certain) on a 35mm camera (albeit a Leica I believe). This reminds me the most important element of capturing a magnificent image is being there, pointing and shooting (of course its not that simple, but read on…) and this can be done on the good old-fashioned tools. I personally found the quest for new technology a distraction and an excuse for forgettable images – so reminding myself that classic images such as this taken on 35mm film is therefore accessible to all of us (note the accessible bit, capability is something else…). Plus, stick a 50mm lens on and concentrate on the image – means you have to well and truly “get in there”.

3. Of course, images need to have good technique from capture through to printing and this image certainly works for me. It is well composed, good tonal range, interest throughout the image, use of light/dark to focus attention on the dwarfs face (and the tent and back again) and jolly good use of the rule of thirds.

So, I find this image inspires me to create a class final result by simply reminding me the following important lessons:

– get out there, and get out there properly – be part of the picture
    – keep it simple. If Bruce Davidson can take an image like this on 35mm film, then so can I…….one day…..perhaps
    – don’t forget technique at capture – consider points of interest, light and composition (ie when just pointing and shooting….make sure it is the right direction…)
    – don’t forget technique to deliver a classic final product. This takes time and effort and you need to become (or find) someone with the skill to deliver a final image the initial investment of time taking the picture warrants. It is a full end to end process!

Image – follow link below
    http://www.edelmangallery.com/davidsonshow06.htm

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Beautifully stated. You seem very intuitive about the process already. It’s a great step in the right direction. Awareness will help you get there, but as I’m sure you’re well aware, finding (or creating) these situations is not an easy task.

I look forward to seeing your work. If you’re using film, can you also make a note of that when you submit your assignments? Most assignments are digital, so it will be nice for other students to see the work of a film photographer.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.