Inspiration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Soha
    Participant

After going through lesson 2, I was impressed by photographers you presented and their work but I realized that never before I did any research regarding names and images of any photographer, I was more of a painting work admirer previously.
    I started my assignment drawing lines on my favorite painter’s work (Claude Oscar Monet), as I was in love with his choice of colors, light and perspective. I was fascinated by the fact that he painted the same scene over and over at different points of time during the day with different color tones.
    I thought that photographers and painters (naturalistic, representational and photographic) try to freeze beauty and memories fearing its disappearance or change over time. They all add a piece of their soul and try to show the audience scenery through their eyes.
    But I could not deny the curiosity that the lesson raised in me and took me into a research journey of special photographers and their work. I spent days scanning images and appreciating the art work. The hardest step was choosing one name among those artists, and I admit I failed.
    But I can tell you that when looking at landscape images, my heart raced when I saw any of Sam Burns’ work. I was amazed by the fact that his images’ colors and tones were not altered and that he only used natural light to capture them. The depth in his images and the choice of angles was great. I chose to share the image of the bridge “Reaching Out” because it took my attention with its colors, angle and creative choice of perspective.
    When I was checking other photographers, I loved the fashion images and portraits taken by Richard Avedon. Avedon’s presentation of subjects was full of ideas. I was amazed by his use of light and shadow to bring texture to each of his images. I chose a picture that stood out for me in its creativity and texture.
    I also was taken by the use of Focus in David Bailey’s work. How he underlined characters and subjects’ traits by usage of different levels of focus in his images. I truly fell for the perspective he chose and the depth level in his images. I chose one simple portrait image of his although he has got an amazing archive of landscape, portrait, in door, product and advertising related work. In this image he could capture a very natural and innocent look from the little girl. But the background was the best in this picture to underline the little girl’s character.
    I can write pages about images I saw and each artist I learned about. I came to the conclusion that these images create a communication channel with these artists and I hope at some point I will be able to take images of that same level and to bring in my audience a reaction similar to the one I got.

Soha Turk Zbib

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I’m happy that you pointed out three different photographers and the attributes of each that you liked. Particularly I was drawn towards your comment about Sam Burns’ work and how he primarily used natural lighting in his work. Unfortunately I feel this becoming a lost art in our age of technological advancements and the portability of flashes and lighting. It’s not that this equipment is inherently bad, but I feel that it’s a photographer’s duty to play with our natural world and the light it provides us. Playing with natural light and having to work with it’s limitations, quick and dramatic changes, color temperature differences and time of day angle differences make us more creative and appreciative of our natural world.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.