Inspiration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Melody
    Participant

The photographer that has inspired me is photojournalist Bob Owen. Not only has his work been an inspiration, but he has also been an encouraging friend to me as I get dig deeper into learning about photography, offering encouragement and tips along the way. When talking to him about photography his passion for his work is clear as he gently pushes me to improve.

Up until a couple of years ago I viewed pictures in a newspaper as more of a reference than part of the story. (Our small town newspaper owner is also the photographer who goes to an event and takes a picture or two to print with the story.) Bob Owen has made me realize the talent and art behind photojournalism. His ability to capture a moment in time and share the emotion and beauty of the moment is amazing to me.

It was hard for me to pick one particular photo of his that has been an inspiration, as I find so many of them inspiring. He has such a wide array of subjects in his photos such as rodeos, ball games, structure fires, various animals, wildlife, and so much more. There is one that I am drawn to more than others, however. It is of a young lady getting her heifer ready for the stock show. The picture shows the water spray and her laughing, capturing her joy and innocence. It is a moment that would probably have gone unnoticed had it not been for that picture.

Of all of his variety of work, I enjoy the most his behind-the-scenes views that a person does not see normally see and sideways glances that we may not otherwise take notice of. Some of his photos spark smile and show humor in that moment. Others spark sadness as he offers a private view into another person’s grief. His talent for working in such a variety of scenes and scenarios and making them all come to life in his photos is an inspiration to me.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thank you for sharing this.

It’s nice to hear you mention that you’re interested in the “story” that photography is capable of telling. I also like how you mentioned:

“It is a moment that would probably have gone unnoticed had it not been for that picture.”

Well said. Thank you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.