JUST BY CHANCE

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    johnhall
    Participant

SEEN WALKING PAST A ENTRANCE HALL

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello John. This is a wonderful photograph. I think what I find most impressive with your work is that you don’t shy away from organizing chaos. It is an incredibly hard accomplishment as a photographer and too many photographers escape to macro photography to satisfy their need to organize both objects and colors.

You on the other hand, don’t mind standing back and looking for simplification in your complex natural environment. Your photograph of the bridge, the downtown towers and now this image shows that you have a great eye for composition even when your environments are large scale. It is no easy task to frame reality in an organized way the way that you do.

There are a couple of things I would change about this image however, or at least experiment with. For starters you have a photographers dream shot when it comes to capturing texture. If you could capture a shot that explored the texture of the fabric on the sculptures with some nice directional side lighting that would provide some very interesting outcomes. I would have liked to see the details in the upper bodies of these statues and the patterns that the fabric created on their faces. It’s a very unusual subject and you have a lot of room to play around here.

Secondly, because you choose to keep a distance from the image you’ve complicated the area around the 4 walls of the photograph. As I mentioned above, I think your ability to capture great wide shots is an amazing skill, but with this skill becomes greater responsibility. In this image, you’ve amputated part of the door with the right wall of the photograph. I think it would have helped the composition if you either included all of the door or changed your position to exclude the entire door. Otherwise, the 4 edges of the photograph are great. It shows context, shapes, very soft colors, and great angles in the walls. It all works very well together. It’s just that “cut off” door that I find a little distracting.

Other than that…. Great photograph! You’re doing an amazing job.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.