Landscape

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alicia
    Participant

[attachment=0:2aysjyxv]landscapes.jpg[/attachment:2aysjyxv]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Very good shot. The dramatic look of the sky and the position of the landscape on the bottom third of the photograph give this photograph a very dramatic look. Because of your positioning of the landscape, your sky takes on a life of its own and puts the human world below in perspective. I really like the general composition of this shot.

I only have two recommendations for you. First, your exposure is slightly low. I think you did this to bring out the brilliant colors in the sky. However, in doing so you compromised your foreground (i.e. houses and trees). They have enough detail that they are not silhouetted but they are also not light enough that they are easily identifiable. They just look accidentally underexposed to me.

On larger budget shoots, the photographer would artificially light the foreground so they could underexpose the sky. That way you get the best of both worlds. However, in this case, it´s inevitably going to be about compromise. I think you should have lightened it by 1 notch giving you foreground more detail and loosing a bit in the sky, or darkened it by 2 notches to bring out more detail in the sky and loose all detail (silhouette) in the foreground.

My second recommendation is to watch the walls of your photograph. Again, you´ve cut off part of the house on the left side of the frame. I think you should have included the whole object or excluded it all together.

That all being said, it´s still a good photograph. It´s just these small details (that you can easily change and just take practice) that will make your work go from good to great! You ahve the artistic side of photography down very well. I just want to see you work on a bit more of the technical side.

Keep up the good work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.