Leson 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    eleanor
    Participant

lesson 5 picture

eleanor
    Participant

This picture of the lake was suppose to be for number 6.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is another good example of your ability to simplify a photograph down to its most important element. Again, you’ve limited your color spectrum and you’ve only included elements into the photograph which serve a purpose and enhance the feeling of your shot. You’ve used contrasting colors (blues and oranges) next to each other and that helps create a dramatic feel to your photograph.

It’s interesting to see how these colors “feel” different when placed to contrasting colors. If you are interested in this I would recommend you look into artists like Rothko and other artists who would be grouped into the “color field” category. These artists are predominantly interested in how colors relate to each other and their emotional responses. The idea that “orange” changes depending on what it’s next too is a really interesting idea. Many photographers don’t learn about color theory because they believe only painters need to concern themselves with that.

You can learn more here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Field

But if you look at the most famous photographers they have a very acute understanding of color theory and they compose their images with that knowledge.

From a color standpoint and from a simplification standpoint you’ve done a great job. My only recommendation is to watch your horizon line. It’s awfully close to the center of your photograph. I think you need to spend some time experimenting with the rule of thirds and placement of your objects and horizon lines. At first it feels unnatural to create off-balance shots. However, I think you’ll soon find that your composition will benefit once you get comfortable with it.

Again, another great assignment.

I Look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.