lesson 1

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chennel Davis
    Participant

I hope i did this correctly

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Chay,

Can you clarify which image you like best?

Chennel Davis
    Participant

the top oe… with the angle

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Chay,

Oh yes.

I will write up this critique now. Give me a few minutes…

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Chay,

First welcome to the student forum.

Second did you get yourself on the IPS newsletter? You won’t miss a thing if you’re on the list.

Finally are you on Twitter? Say hello to IPS on twitter over here: https://twitter.com/photographyicon

Now as you can see I had a hard time figuring out which image was your stronger and more interesting image. The whole point of this assignment is to get you to start actually seeing your world. To take note of the visually rich world that is surrounding you.

You should know that as you progress through the course I would hope that you get to a point where you not only meet the requirements of the assignment but that the photos you shoot stand on their own as interesting photographs.

[attachment=0:1iwxet7p]shoot 2 040 – headboard critiqued.jpeg[/attachment:1iwxet7p]

1: these are VERY strong lines. If you have an affinity for the strong use of lines in your image. Take a look at this: http://photographyicon.com/line/ and you’ll get a better idea of how, when, and why to use certain kinds of lines in your images.

2: note that the most interesting part of your image (the pattern on the headboard) is half in focus and half out of focus. This is because your depth field is a bit shallow. As you progress through the course you will come to learn how to control depth of field and make it work for you. In the mean time just know that as a general rule you want the most interesting thing in your photo to be the thing that is totally in focus. Like all rules in photography this rule can be broken but when you’re starting out it’s a good habit to get into.

Feel free to try another shot for this assignment or just move onto your next one.

Thank you! 😀

Chennel Davis
    Participant

i went back and shot this. i think it is nice but still some what out of focus

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

It’s only of out focus because there isn’t a large enough depth of field. You will learn to control this as you move through the course but suffice it to say that assuming all else is equal the larger the fstop number the more depth of field.

For example in Landscape Photography you generally want the most depth of field that you can get. That usually means shooting with the highest fstop your setup will allow. Shutter speeds tend to slow down when you do this etc etc but for now just know that the problem with this image is depth of field.

Don’t worry you’re doing fine.

Keep this in mind:

Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.

-Henri Cartier-Bresson

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Chay,

I have temporarily put your account on hold as your payment did not clear.

Please contact office@photographyicon.com and check your email.

Thanks.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Looks like the payment went through this time.

Your account has been re-instated.

Thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.