Lesson 1

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Charles Netzler
    Participant

Hi so I’ve finally gotten around to starting my first lesson after signing up so many months ago.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Welcome! Thanks for finally starting your lessons!

First things first, please ensure you are on the IPS newsletter:
    http://photographyicon.com/newsletter/

That way you’ll be notified of any IPS announcements.

If you are on Twitter please follow:
    https://twitter.com/photographyicon

We often post new and interesting photography links and resources there as well.

Now let’s get on with it shall we?!

Here is the EXIF data for this photograph for anyone looking at this in future.

[attachment=1:grtcu8if]2X8C3696 copy EXIF.png[/attachment:grtcu8if]

I noticed a few things instantly when I looked at this image. First I liked your use of line and the angle at which your positioned yourself or your camera. This makes for a more interesting perspective for a photograph of a guitar instead of just the standard eye level straight on image.

I also noticed the use of shallow depth of field. In this case the depth of field (basically the part of the image that is in focus) is a small area of the strings.

As is almost always is the case one of the simplest things you can do to make a photograph more interesting is to add people.

Here is an example:
    [attachment=0:grtcu8if]example of a guitar photograph with a hand.jpg[/attachment:grtcu8if]
    photo by seriousbri

So that is a simple takeaway from your first lesson right off the top. Add people to your images!

Now beyond that on a more technical level you shot this image at ISO 8000. In simple terms this means that your camera’s sensor was VERY sensitive and thus it produced a fair bit of grain/noise in the image. It also means that any highlights (bright parts) in your image would be fairly blown out.

If you have little or no motion in your frame in a low light situation like this I would recommend putting your camera on a tripod and shooting at lower ISOs and slower shutter speeds. Shooting at high ISOs is good when you are in low light but if you can control the amount of light or the amount of motion you can choose your ISO accordingly and control it to give the look you want.

All of that said you’ve done very well here. For one thing you’ve gotten started on your journey of photography and that’s more than most people can say. You’ve also managed to create an interesting photograph that is shot from a unique perspective which is also more than most people can say when they are starting out.

So job well done here!

Charles Netzler
    Participant

Yes after looking back i realize my iso was too high. Should i resubmit or do i move on to the next lesson? I want to get the highest score possible in every lesson.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Go ahead and move onto the next lesson!

Also just so you know it’s not about getting marks or grades here, it’s just about learning and having fun!

😀

See you on the next assignment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.