Lesson 1: apple of the eye

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kaylie Richard
    Participant

As I was looking at the fake apple on the shelf I noticed how much more shiny it appeared rather than a real apple that can become dull after time. The beauty of the picture is to show how things will always seem to look better from the outside without knowing what’s inside. A fake apple will always be beautiful because it isn’t real, but a true apple will grow and fade with time just like we do.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Apologies for the delay in responding. I have been quite ill. I will get on this ASAP.

Kaylie Richard
    Participant

That’s ok! Thank you for letting me know.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I’m still quite sick. I hope to get to this on monday. My apologies for the delay.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hey Kaylie,

First off huge apologies for my absence. I have been very sick and it has not been fun. I’ll spare you the gory details but I’m starting to get back to normal now (I hope).

As I was looking at the fake apple on the shelf I noticed how much more shiny it appeared rather than a real apple that can become dull after time. The beauty of the picture is to show how things will always seem to look better from the outside without knowing what’s inside. A fake apple will always be beautiful because it isn’t real, but a true apple will grow and fade with time just like we do.

Let’s take a look at the EXIF data for these images.

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DSCN0336.jpg
    Date Time Original: 0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time: 1/12
    F Number: f / 3
    Exposure Program: Normal program
    ISO Speed Ratings: 400
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 4.30mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON
    Model: COOLPIX P510
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 4608
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3456
    CompressedBitsPerPixel: 2
    Maker Note: 1398
    User Comment: 852
    Date Time Digitized: 0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Max Aperture Value: 3.20
    Light Source: Unknown
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 24mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: High gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 1368
    ExifIFDPointer: 314
    GPSInfoIFDPointer: 1002
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    X Resolution: 300
    Y Resolution: 300
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Image Description:
    Software: COOLPIX P510 V1.0

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/DSCN0360.jpg
    Date Time Original: 0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time: 1/4
    F Number: f / 3
    Exposure Program: Normal program
    ISO Speed Ratings: 800
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 4.30mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON
    Model: COOLPIX P510
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 4608
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3456
    CompressedBitsPerPixel: 2
    Maker Note: 1398
    User Comment: 852
    Date Time Digitized: 0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Max Aperture Value: 3.20
    Light Source: Unknown
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 24mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: High gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 1368
    ExifIFDPointer: 314
    GPSInfoIFDPointer: 1002
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    X Resolution: 300
    Y Resolution: 300
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Image Description:
    Software: COOLPIX P510 V1.0

Don’t worry if all of this is nonsense to you now. Over time you will come to understand what this all means.

If you haven’t already take a quick read through of your camera’s manual.
    http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/coolpix/P510_EN.pdf

A handy tip is to put your manual somewhere you visit often like beside your bed or in the bathroom and look at it when you can. Modern cameras are amazing and can do so much.

Now let’s get into the meat of the assignment. The first thing is that I want to commend you for taking this journey. You area on the path of learning and you are already doing really well. You have made a commitment to learn photography and that’s wonderful. I wish I could go back and learn it all again. It’s so fun.

In the photograph that is farther away the first thing I want you to notice is that it is not in focus. Focus is really a fundament aspect of photography. If your photo is blurry you can’t really do anything with it. That’s the case here the photo is blurry. The take away here is that just because your photo looks ok on the back of your camera doesn’t mean it’s in good focus. Sometimes cameras have a hard time finding focus on shiny or reflective objects. If that is the case try to switch to manual focus and control the focus yourself.

In the closer image of the stem you are trying to do something called Macro photography. Take a look at this page on Macro photography and spend some time on it.

In fact while we’re at it I’d like you to also take note of the photography glossary page which will help you understand different photography terminology.

One thing I noticed is that your camera is actually very well suited to macro photography because it has a VERY short minimum focus distance. In other words, you can do nice macro photos with this camera because it can focus on this that are very very close to the lens. On your camera I believe there is a dedicated macro mode which is the little flower setting. Use that setting and play around with taking photos of things that are very close to your camera. This is a fun way to learn. It’s digital so it doesn’t cost you anything.

I like that you have gotten close and you have filled the frame with your subject. Those two things are usually enough to dramatically improve the quality of your images. Get close and fill the frame.

As Robert Capa said: “If your pictures aren’t good enough, you’re not close enough.”

So your instincts and learning is good here. Just notice that in a still life frame like this everything matters. So the white spot in the top right of the frame does take away from the image.

Now here is one thing you can do to improve this macro photo of this apple. Put your camera on a tripod and lower your ISO setting to the lowest number it will go. Most likely ISO 100… Then use your camera’s 10 second self timer to take the photo. What this will do is result in a much cleaner image. It will feel less grainy and it will be sharper do to reduced camera shake. It will also make it so you don’t get this white spots on the image where you lose detail in the highlights.

Now let me ask you a few questions.

What are you wanting to achieve with your photography?
    Are you on social media / instagram / flickr?

If so add me so I can see how you are progressing.

My instagram:
    https://www.instagram.com/duncanrawlinson/

My flickr:
    https://www.flickr.com/thelastminute/

If not, sign up and start sharing pictures!

Nice work and I’ll see you on the next assignment. Apologies again for my absence.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.