Lesson 1 Assignment

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Siddhartha R
    Participant

It’s a Paperweight I found on the table!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi there,

The assignment asks for a mundane object… This isn’t really a mundane object! You are cheating 😉 I’m just kidding it’s ok. There are no strict rules around here. Nor are there any strict rules in photography.

Before we proceed please make sure you’re on the Icon Photography School email list. That way you won’t miss anytning.

Also be sure to to follow IPS on Twitter.

Ok so let’s do this.

Here is the EXIF data for these images:
    [attachment=1:340b10sy]Take1 EXIF.png[/attachment:340b10sy]
    Date Time Original: 2013:09:16 18:59:17
    Exposure Time: 1/50
    F Number: f / 1.80
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    ISO Speed Ratings: 800
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    Focal Length: 35mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D5100
    Pixel X Dimension: 4928
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3264
    User Comment:
    Date Time Digitized: 2013:09:16 18:59:17
    Subsec Time: 70
    Subsec Time Original: 70
    Subsec Time Digitized: 70
    Exposure Bias: -0.33
    Max Aperture Value: 1.60
    Light Source: Unknown
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Digital Zoom Ration: 1
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 52mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: Low gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    ExifIFDPointer: 210
    PhotometricInterpretation: 32803
    Orientation: 1
    X Resolution: 72
    Y Resolution: 72
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2013:09:16 18:59:17
    Software: Ver.1.01

[attachment=0:340b10sy]Take2 EXIF.png[/attachment:340b10sy]
    Date Time Original: 2013:09:16 19:02:32
    Exposure Time: 1/50
    F Number: f / 1.80
    Exposure Program: Aperture priority
    ISO Speed Ratings: 400
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    Focal Length: 35mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D5100
    Pixel X Dimension: 4928
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3264
    User Comment:
    Date Time Digitized: 2013:09:16 19:02:32
    Subsec Time: 00
    Subsec Time Original: 00
    Subsec Time Digitized: 00
    Exposure Bias: -0.33
    Max Aperture Value: 1.60
    Light Source: Unknown
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Digital Zoom Ration: 1
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 52mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: Low gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    ExifIFDPointer: 210
    PhotometricInterpretation: 32803
    Orientation: 1
    X Resolution: 72
    Y Resolution: 72
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2013:09:16 19:02:32
    Software: Ver.1.01

Aside from the not-so-boring nature of this object you’ve done well here. There are a few things to like. You’ve started with one of the simplest ways to improve almost any photograph. That is to get close. Now you might notice something going on here as well. When you get too close for certain lenses you’ll notice it just can’t focus. Every lens has a minimum focus distance.

If you are using the kit lens on that camera (NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR) I think it’s minimum focus is 0.28m. In other words that lens won’t be able to focus on anything that is lens than 28 centimeters away. If you look at the image of the closer version (take 2) you’ll see only part of the sculpture is in focus. This is either because you manually focused incorrectly, the auto focus is wrong, or most likely it’s beyond the minimum focus distance of that lens. In other words the object was too close.

Whatever the case being too close is a good thing.

What’s more you’ve intentionally added a reflection to your image. Reflections in photography are another one of those lovely little touches that can take a photo to the next level in terms of viewer interest.

Be aware that using aperture priority is great as long as you trust your metering. In this case the close image is a bit underexposed.

But no worries, with time you will learn to nail your focus and your exposure.

I would encourage you to challenge yourself with this one and shoot this again. You don’t have to do this but really try to find something mundane and go for it.

Thanks for posting your assignment i’ll see you on the next assignment!

Siddhartha R
    Participant

Hi there! All paper weights are mundane 😉 Thanks for the critique. I haven’t realised there was a reflection of the entire car until I got close to the subject and looked through the view finder. That was when I thought I have to get the car and its reflection in the picture. So I got really close to capture the detail in the reflection too. Like you said, I was too close and the camera refused to focus, So I kept moving back till it could focus. I’ll make a note of what you said about aperture priority mode. I’ll redo the assignment with some other mundane object.

Siddhartha R
    Participant

Hi there!

Here is another shot at assignment 1. Found an old guitar chord. This time I shot it in very poor light. I think the focus was okay but the aperture was 1.8.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

YES!

This is more like it.

You’ve totally nailed the assignment. My only minro note on this assignment would be too have made the connector or plugin part of the cord in focus. There is almost always something that is more interesting in photograph than the rest. When you’re using shallow depth of field you should feature that thing… In this case it’s the connector or the plugin. I’m not sure what it’s called …

Also keep in mind your focus will look different depending on how you look at the image. The smaller the display/screen/print the more perfect your focus will look and vice versa. If you want to geek out on this checkout something called the circle of confusion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_confusion

Anyway you get the idea.

Nice job here!

Siddhartha R
    Participant

The feedback is great. I’m learning already! I’m glad I took this course! And thanks for sharing the link on blur spots. I’d totally geek out on it. I’m heading out of town for a week. I’ll work on assignment 2 when I get back.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Sweet!

See you on the next lesson.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.