Lesson 1 Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Pamela
    Participant

I actually had my husband choose the “boring object” because I thought it would be more challenging.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on your first assignment.

Your “beast” photograph contains many of the errors that are common in photographer’s work. Therefore it’s important to visually deconstruct what it is we don’t like about these shots. Learning what not to do, is just as important as learning what to do in photography.

Notice your “beast” shot has terrible “amputation” (i.e. cutting off objects with 1 or more of the 4 walls of the shot). In this case your amputating various primary and secondary objects.

Not only that, but your image lacks focus. As an audience member I have no idea what you’re trying to draw my eye towards because you haven’t provided me any visual cues other than object sizes and placement. I gather I’m supposed to look at a stool because it’s in the center. However, this isn’t very engaging or thoughtful.

However, your second image “beauty” is much stronger in it’s compositional elements.

For starters, you have created the illusion of three dimensions by using a strong foreground, middle ground and background. This ensures your image doesn’t appear flat and lifeless.

You’ve also used lines to help draw your viewer’s eye into the photograph. You’ll learn in a later lecture what “leading lines” are, but for now, just know that you’ve used them and they work really well in your shot.

Similarly, you’ve captured a wonderful range in tones. As a black and white photograph tonal range and tonal balance are of primary concern. A wide spectrum of tones ensures a dramatic photograph. You have both dark blacks and vibrant whites in this shot which really helps with your overall composition.

Overall, this is a great first assignment. Thank you for submitting it!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.