Lesson 1 Assignment – wipes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

[attachment=1:3pcw2b84]IMG_9934.JPG[/attachment:3pcw2b84]

[attachment=0:3pcw2b84]IMG_9935.JPG[/attachment:3pcw2b84]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for submitting your first assignment.

The first lesson reads like this:

Lesson 1: Beast to Beauty

We want you to find something particularly boring in your home. It could be a doorknob, a remote control, a garbage can, a plain couch, tiles or anything else which you would rarely notice around your home. Something totally forgettable and uninteresting.

Now what we want you to do is to take 2 pictures of the object. Take one picture of it as you normally see it. Stand back and take the picture of the object with disregard for its relation to other things or any interesting elements within the object itself.

Now, I want you to get close to the object and see it with fresh eyes. How can you make this object interesting? What if you changed the lighting? What if you added something to it? What if you zoomed in? What if you blurred your camera to make it more abstract? What if you put it in close relation to something else to make it more interesting? These are all just ideas, but the possibilities are endless. Now Take a second picture and turn this ordinary object into something much more visually pleasing.

Now right off the bat I have to say that you might have taken on too much for your first assignment. Trying to beautify a container of moist wipes is very very hard.

In fact I searched the internet for a nice looking photograph of moist wipes and didn’t find a single one.

Given that, you have made a good attempt here but you really won’t get far with this type of thing.

The second photograph is more interesting but at the same time would you ever use it for anything?

I know this is just an assignment but going forward with the course always be thinking to yourself, “would I ever use this for anything?” Meaning, would you hang it on a wall, send it to a friend, sell it as a stock photograph etc.

I don’t want to be too harsh here because you’ve done the assignment and there’s something to be said for that. Some people sign up for the course and they never even submit one photograph.

So job well done on getting this started. If you’ve got a baby on your hands even more power to ya!

The thinking behind this assignment is to get your thinking and seeing like a photographer. Start to see the world the way a photographer does. I hope you’ll start doing this from now on!

I look forward to your next assignments.

Thank you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.