Lesson 1: Beast to Beauty

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie
    Participant

Beast to Beauty

I chose the end table sitting in the corner of my living room because it is a beautiful piece but isn’t the feature piece of the room and gets forgotten about.
    [attachment=1:1ufm0j9w]DSC_0454e.JPG[/attachment:1ufm0j9w]
    The beast- Coffee cup with flowers, sitting on the end table.

[attachment=0:1ufm0j9w]DSC_0443.JPG[/attachment:1ufm0j9w]
    The beauty- Focussing in on one piece (the shell) of the many potential focal points of this cup.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful first assignment.

In fact, both images have good composition. The first image is formally balanced and fairly flat, but you’ve managed to simplify and organize the edges of your “beast” photograph which is something that many photographers overlook for this assignment.

Like most of the other assignments, you’ve chosen to make your “beauty” image a close up photograph and you’ve removed most of the context of the shot. The focus changes from our interest in “where” to an interest in colors, shapes and composition.

I really like both photographs and I think you’ve done a great job with this assignment. You’ve done exactly what was asked from you. That being said, there is always room for improvement so I want to point out the 1 area in your “beauty” photograph that I think you will have fun experimenting with.

In an upcoming lecture you’ll learn about lighting, but it’s important to start thinking about now. Side lighting helps bring our texture. Your shell is full of potential in this area but your lighting source hides the shadows that would make this photograph much more texturized. Try turning the lights out (full black out is best in a windowless room, but just re-shooting this at night with the lights out may work just as well. Now find a directional light (i.e. flashlight, lamp etc) and slash the light on the shell from a side direction. This will help create small shadows in the shell and make it come to life. Front lighting or overhead lighting will always strip your photographs of this texture.

So try experimenting that that. I’ll think you’ll find the process enjoyable and rewarding.

Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.