Lesson 1 Rediscovering Your World

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Cristy
    Participant

Lesson 1 Rediscovering your world! “The Light Switch”

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great submission.

The reason I like your submission so much is because you highlight one of the most important ways to add a strong visual highlight to your photograph; through depth.

You achieved this not by using a shallow depth of field, but also by taking advantage of layering. You’ve done this by incorporating a strong foreground presence, a middle ground and a background. You’ve also managed to isolate the main area of importance by using a shallow depth of field. That being said, the objects in soft focus still provide context and help enhance the overall composition of your shot.

My only concern with the shot is a very common concern. You’ve committed, quite likely the most common technical error that photographers make. You’ve “amputated” (i.e. cut off) your primary object with 1 of the walls of your photograph.

Notice the bottom of the light switch is cut off by the bottom frame of the photograph. It’s important to avoid this type of amputation because you’ve used a shallow depth of field telling your audience that this object (the light switch) is your primary subject. It’s the main subject of the photograph. It’s where our attention is initially drawn.

The problem is that you’ve focused too much on the composition in the center of the frame but you’ve neglected to pay attention to the 4 walls of your photograph. Before you press the shutter button next time, make sure you look at each wall of the photograph and how it’s interacting with the different objects in the shot. Strategic amputation is fine, but accidental or awkward amputations should be avoided.

Other than that, great work with this photograph. I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.