Lesson 1 Two Prospectives

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jessica Thurston
    Spectator

I took these photos of a Oil Lamp that usually hangs in my mothers living room, they are up above everyone’s heads so they normally don’t get noticed. I figured that this would make a good first assignment. Comments, thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated. Thank You!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Jessica,

First things first. Thank you for enrolling in the course and thanks for submitting your first assignment. I am happy that you’re embarking on your journey of learning in photography.

Let’s briefly take a look at the EXIF data of your images so we can see what settings you and your camera used to make these photos.

If you’re not familiar with EXIF data take a look at this page. In simple terms it’s just all the settings that we’re used to make a photo.

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/100_0576.jpg

Date Time Original: 2015:02:23 17:29:12
    Exposure Time: 1/50
    F Number: f / 9.80
    Exposure Program: Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 7.30mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model: KODAK EasyShare Z5010 Digital Camera
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 3216
    Pixel Y Dimension: 4288
    Maker Note: 5060
    Date Time Digitized: 2015:02:23 17:29:12
    Subsec Time Original: 000
    Subsec Time Digitized: 000
    Shutter Speed Value: 5.60
    Aperture Value: 6.50
    Brightness Value: 4
    Max Aperture Value: 3.60
    Light Source: Unknown
    Exposure Index: 100
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 41mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: Low gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 8872
    ExifIFDPointer: 2362
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    X Resolution: 480
    Y Resolution: 480
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2015:02:23 17:35:11
    Software: Microsoft Windows Photo Viewer 6.1.7600.16385

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/100_0574.jpg

Date Time Original: 2015:02:23 17:27:37
    Exposure Time: 1/50
    F Number: f / 8.70
    Exposure Program: Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 4.50mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model: KODAK EasyShare Z5010 Digital Camera
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 4288
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3216
    Maker Note: 14916
    Date Time Digitized: 2015:02:23 17:27:37
    Subsec Time Original: 000
    Subsec Time Digitized: 000
    Shutter Speed Value: 5.60
    Aperture Value: 6
    Brightness Value: 4
    Max Aperture Value: 3.20
    Light Source: Unknown
    Exposure Index: 100
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 25mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: Low gain up
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 18728
    ExifIFDPointer: 14246
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    X Resolution: 480
    Y Resolution: 480
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2015:02:23 17:27:37

I like that you’re using manual exposure program mode here and I like that you chose to use a flash because that environment looks very dark. I also like that you’ve done a couple of simple things here.

For one thing you moved the object and brought it much closer. This is great. Take a look at this example.

Getting close is simply the best and easiest thing you can do to improve your photographs. When I say get close I don’t mean zoom in either, I mean getting physically closer. If you take anything away from this first lesson it should be to be close to your subject and to fill your frame with it.

As you progress through the course you will also become more familiar with light and the quality of light. In this case it’s a very dark environment. This is particularly interesting because it may not have felt too dark to you. The human eye is absolutely amazing because it’s attached to a your brain. The combination is extremely powerful. So powerful that we often don’t even notice the light in our environment as your brain just handles everything automatically.

As a photographer you will have to learn that your camera is nowhere near as good as a human eye and you’ll have to use settings accordingly when shooting or change the light or environment. In this case what you could have done is use a tripod and a longer exposure and no flash. This is because your object was not moving. In this way you could have a different, less harsh look to the image.

There is nothing wrong with using a flash to get a nice image in low light but for something like this that isn’t moving you could use the aforementioned technique.

One thing you can do as an experiment is set your camera on a tripod or just on a flat surface and shoot the exact same thing but change just one variable at a time to learn what happens. For example, see what happens when you set everything to manual and expose correctly but just change ISO, or just change, shutter. If this sounds too complicated don’t worry you’ll get the hang of it as you go.

As easier way to do this is to play with the simulators in the student workspace. So go check that out as well.

Whatever you do just have fun and play. There is no need to get bogged down with your learning just experiment and play around. This is the beauty of digital, you can shoot and shoot and shoot to your heart’s content.

One thing I will tell you is one of my favorite quotes about photography:

“Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” –Henri Cartier-Bresson

So don’t be discouraged, just keep going! Some people often get discouraged in their early photography learning because they’re photos don’t look as good as the professionals. I tell them, would you expect to be as good as professional basketball player without practice and experience?!

So good job here and keep working.

Remember you can email office@photographyicon.com any time with questions. Whether it’s something you don’t understand or if you need a recommendation for camera gear.

See you on the next assignment!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.