Lesson 10

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fournier
    Participant

I have to travel rarely for business, and I love to take photos that most people over look while I’m there. I try not to take the everyday pictures that everyone else will take. I was lucky enough to be in Boston during some beautiful weather, and a group of us were meeting in Little Italy for dinner. A few of us took advantage of getting out of class early and decided to walk the freedom trail from Boston Commons to Little Italy (North End). I grabbed my camera to take on our walk. I was lucky to get many great shots, and had this lesson in the back of my mind (along with others I was behind on). I took this photo while standing in Little Italy looking toward Old North End Church (the end of the freedom trail). The sun was going down, and it made for some great shots. I think the Paul Revere statue looks great as a silouette with the Old North End Church in the background.

I had some great looks of Boston, but this one tells such a story to me.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work.

I really like seeing you experiment with all of these different design elements. Each of your photographs changes dramatically in their use of pattern, line, shape, color and other compositional elements.

With this image you’re experimenting with the design element of a frame within a frame. You’ve effectively used the two trees on both sides of the frame to help limit your area of focus. The trees act as negative space and help you draw your audience’s eyes into the center of the composition.

In the center of the composition you’ve used depth and lines as your primary design elements. We have a sense of context because of the objects within the frame. This helps communicate story to us.

The biggest challenge with this photograph was getting your different layers to interact within one another pleasantly. For example, I notice you didn’t let the right side of the statue bleed too much into the trees to the right. This would have caused a blurring of objects since both are composes of the same color. Keeping your objects separated was critical and you’ve done a great job of that.

Your attention to the 4 walls of your frame also doesn’t go unnoticed. Very clean edges. Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.