Lesson 10 Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Marni
    Participant

A Seattle Cityscape

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is a great photograph.

This is one my favourite photographs from you so far. I think you have a great eye for black and white photography. Your favourite photograph of mine is your shot of the old rusty car in the field, but this is a close second.

As I’m sure you’re aware, you broke the rule of thirds with this shot. That being said, it look intentional as a method of formally balancing your composition. I really like it in this situation because there is both texture in the water and the sky. Neither texture really upstages the other, so the balanced composition doesn’t compromise your image.

Not only that, but by including so much of the water it also helps you provide a sense of the foreground which help you create layers and the illusion of 3 dimensions in your shot which also helps enhance your photograph.

My main concern with this photograph is that your blacks could be crunched a little more. If you have photograph try playing around the “curves” tool. This will help you isolate particular tones and decrease or increase them. It’s a great way to make your black tones just a little bit darker. You might also want to consider doing the same for your white tones (i.e. make them a bit brighter). You can do this with the curves tool without effecting your mid tones.

Other than that, this is a great photograph.

I defiantly see the improvement in your work. Great job.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.