Lesson 10 Assignment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Deepak
    Participant

A B&W cityscape I took of downtown Seattle.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I’m falling behind on critiquing student assignments so you’ll have to bear with me. It might take me a few days to get back to you on this one.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting another delightful photograph!

The assignment:

Lesson 10: Assignment Assignment Title: Landscape or Cityscape
    This will be an assignment that will test your practical knowledge of landscape or cityscape photography. For this assignment you will need to take a visually impressive cityscape or landscape shot (depending on whichever is more convenient for you to achieve).

Your picture should take into consideration everything we’ve spoken about thus far. Take care with your composition and lighting. When you are ready you can upload your work to our online student assignment center.

You have submitted a lovely landscape photograph of Seattle.

The image is quite nice and is composed well. The exposure is a little off in certain areas given the high dynamic range of the cityscape but it’s a very nice image.

I have highlighted some areas of improvement here:

[attachment=0:wn4s19rv]seattle.jpg[/attachment:wn4s19rv]

1: Blown out.

This area is right on the edge of being totally blown out. Given that it’s the largest and most prominent building in your cityscape it stands out a bit too much to have the whites blow out like this.

2: Distracting Element.

These posts are the band of my existence when I’m out shooting in cities. They’re everywhere! If you can try to line them up together so they form a pleasing line or some form of pattern. Otherwise they can be quite distracting. Trust me I feel your pain on these…

3: Dark Spot

As previously mentioned the dynamic range is quite large in this photo. As such dark spots end up being quite dark. Just be wary of making prominently featured areas too light or too dark.

4: Flat Skies

If your skies are losing texture or looking a little flat try shooting the photograph at another time of day. Another suggestion is to make bad weather your friend. If bad weather is coming go out and shoot before and after it is there…

All in all this is a nice photograph and I hope the areas I mentioned are food for though when you’re out shooting your next landscape shot!

Good job!

🙂

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.