Lesson 10: Assignment – Landscape or Cityscape

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 10 Lesson 10: Assignment – Landscape or Cityscape

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    charitymiles
    Participant

Please find the attached photograph of “Tree”.

I have seen this tree for years before I finally decided to photograph it. It represents standing firm, weathering the storms and enduring.

Thank you,

Charity Miles

Lesson 10: Assignment
    Postby teacher » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:38 pm
    Lesson 10: Assignment
    Assignment Title: Landscape or Cityscape

This will be an assignment that will test your practical knowledge of landscape or cityscape photography. For this assignment you will need to take a visually impressive cityscape or landscape shot (depending on whichever is more convenient for you to achieve).

Your picture should take into consideration everything we’ve spoken about thus far. Take care with your composition and lighting. When you are ready you can upload your work to our online student assignment center.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Charity

PhotographyIcon.com is going on holiday from today Dec 8 until Jan 1.

I will try to critique this during the holidays but there is no guarantee I will be able to get online.

Thanks for your understanding and Happy Holidays to you!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Charity,

Thanks for submitting your assignment!

You’ve chosen to shoot a landscape photograph with a straggly old dead tree as the most prominent element in the frame.

I like what you’ve chose to do here and you’ve got most of the elements in line to make for a nice photo.

In fact it’s a decent photo now.

Some things you could have done to improve this image are as follows:

Time of Day
    For an image like this (or really any image) if you want the colors to really pop you should should shoot around magic hour. On a cloudy day like this at this time of day the colors are quite muted although the light is diffuse.

[attachment=0:293wmjyt]straggly-tree-charity.jpg[/attachment:293wmjyt]

1: The dynamic range of this image is such that the tree (and the ground) are so dark that the sky is a little blown out. Shooting at a different time of day may have produced a more even dynamic range.

2: I like that you’ve tried to incorporate foreground, midground, and background elements but be careful they don’t overlap too much.

3: If you want to isolate and focus on the tree getting lower down would help as well.

Overall you’ve done a pretty good job on this one. Although there is always room for improvement.

Happy Holidays!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.