Lesson 10 – Landscape or Cityscape

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Participant

Ok. Here are my submissions for lesson 10. Again, it was quite enjoyable doing the assignment. I took so many photos, it was difficult deciding which one to submit. I actually wanted you to critique them all! I know that would be impossible! So, here are the one I chose.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Fred,

All of these photos are good but I want you to try something for me.

If you can, try shooting this assignment again, except shoot all of your images during magic hour or golden hour.

If you’re busy or you just can’t do this no worries I’ll critique these.

How does that sound?

If there is anything you can do to dramatically improve your landscapes it’s shooting at this time of day.

You gotta be quick though because it comes and goes quickly!

Also, if you can add some elements of scale (like a person) to your images.

Another quick tip would be to ensure that the foreground, midground, and background are all interesting. Trust me, that’s tough but it’s good to aim high!

What do you think?

Frederick
    Participant

Thank you. I will re-do this assignment. Unfortunately, these photos were taken in when I was visiting Colorado. I’m up to the challenge!

Fred.

Frederick
    Participant

I would like to get you thoughts on the night photo of the Boulder Cafe. You could wait until I submit the re-do for Lesson 10. Thank you.

Fred.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I didn’t even notice that it was the “boulder cafe”!

All I really noticed were the potted plants because they feature so heavily.

If you wanted to feature the cafe you could have shot it a little more front on.

For example a while ago I shot a photo of a cafe because I wanted to feature it so I shot just the cafe:

[attachment=0:31cl3yye]arbutus-cafe.jpg[/attachment:31cl3yye]

Notice how there isn’t much to it and that I have used lines to organize the frame.

My other thought about your image was how does it make this photograph more interesting being shot at night? Given that those potted plants feature so heavily I was thinking that it could have been shot during the day. I hope you know what I mean.

Finally don’t forget about people!

Shoot more people. There is a misconception by many people starting out in photography that you want to get people out of the frame so you can see the building, or the church or whatever. This is dead wrong, try to get people in your frame and ideally shoot them doing something.

Even in a landscape or cityscape people can add a sense of scale and they often improve the image.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.