lesson 11

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ekshtein
    Participant

this is a picture of a sculpture in Jerusalem I took a while ago.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work! Very subtle, but what a dramatic difference. You’ve really cleaned up the composition by cropping the image and focusing your attention of the essential visual components of the image. The first image provides a little more context, but your second image re-focuses your photograph’s message to exclude the surroundings and instead focuses on the art (rather than its framing, the surrounding architecture etc).

You’ve also desaturated the image and used a filter which has causes the shapes and edges to slightly transform. You’ve effectively softened the edges of the subjects in the composition and given the image a highly stylized texture.

My done a wonderful job of compositional production value of the image. That being said, I have 1 technical concern with the image. Once you cropped and desaturated the image, you lost the wider tonal range that was present in your first image. Because you’ve cropped out the direct sunlight that was coming in you lost all presence of white tones which consequently flattened your image by compressing the tones and limiting them to only mid-tones. I took a “levels” reading for this image so you can see what I mean. Notice how the tones are all in the middle and there are no lighter pixels represented on the right side of the graph. Also notice how although you have some dark tones, you never fully push the tonal spectrum into black either. Therefore, as a black and white photograph it’s a little flat from a tonal standpoint.

Again, I love the composition, but keep in mind tones when you’re shooting black and white, or converting color photographs to black and white.

Other than that, great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.