Lesson 11 Digi Darkroom

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lynn
    Participant

So this is the part that I have been waiting for! I love to mess around with pictures. I know I used the same idea as what was in the lesson, but I have wanted to use our motorcycle in so many pictures so I thought this one would be ok. it was very challenging getting the cropped bike! but I think it’s ok….

Welcome back from Holiday!!!! :mrgreen:

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Lynnie!!!

This is quite a little project you’ve put together here.

I see what you’re trying to do and I like the idea!

Lesson 11 reads as follows:

Time to Digitize

In this exercise we want you to feel free to digitize a photograph however you wish using any of the elements taught above. The only limitation we want to impose is that we don’t want you to over-exaggerate anything to make the photograph look too abstract or fake. We don’t want to see purple sky’s unless it’s believable. You can dull colors, enhance colors, change skies, insert new elements or anything else you wish. Just be careful not to overuse any of those elements and create a cartoonish, artificial looking photograph.

Becoming a photoshop master takes years of practice. I know quite a bit about photoshop and I’m only ever scratching the surface. I know enough about photoshop to never really trust what I see in today’s media.

You’ve taken several layers and images and combined them into one. This is really where photoshop excels.

Unfortunately in your image the layers suffer from a few problems.

The main problem is that the Jar frame is in perfect focus or light.

If one things is for sure you have to match the focus of the elements in a composition like this.

One trick you can do if your background plate or element is slightly out of focus is to intentionally blur the other elements.

If you have photoshop you can apply what’s known as a gausian blur filter to the “in focus” elements. In this case the bike and the bow.

The better solution though is to make sure all your elements are in good focus.

The light in the Jar photo looks like natural light from a window whereas the light on the bow doesn’t quite seem to match.

Another minor issue is what’s know as your “selection” or in plain english your cut out. Making a good “selection” or cut out was always the most tedious thing for me in photoshop.

I can see that you struggled with the selections of the wheels. Note the shape of the wheels and how you can’t see through the spokes on the front wheel…

I know how tedious and hard that part is from past experience.

Whatever the case may be you’ve learned some of the powers of post processing software like photoshop! You can add that to your arsenal of photography skills.

I don’t recommend you use Photoshop in this fashion with your photography unless you have good reason to do so.

Try to use photoshop for minor touch ups on your images. Such as fixing the white balance or sharpening an image that needs a little help.

If you want to dive deeper into photoshop specifically there are gazillions of photoshop specific tutorials online.

Lynn
    Participant

I always look forward to your Critiquing criticism.

I can see that you struggled with the selections of the wheels. Note the shape of the wheels and how you can’t see through the spokes on the front wheel…

Ya Think??? OMGosh it was very difficult! I knew what I wanted to do but it took me forever!!! After messing around with Photoshop for a long time, I finally thought I outlined it pretty good but still not perfect. Thanks so much for your feedback!

have a great day!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I try my best.

I see you’re working on your flickr portfolio already!

😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.