Lesson #2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I love photography, and especially studying ways to make my photos better. I constantly surf the web, looking for professional photographers that constantly capture photos that make viewers say, wow, when they see them. It can sometimes be hard to find good photographers out there, but I have found a photographer that always has the most beautiful photos and that is Drake Busath, from Utah. He has been doing photography for many years, and he is a fantastic photographer. He has won awards around the world, and his photos are more like artwork. Busath’s photos are amazing, and anytime I feel like I need some inspiration, I look to his galleries for that inspiration.

His photography makes everyone beautiful. His photos that are in color, the colors are very warm and vibrant. Every photo has a story to it. Busath has some very interesting techniques that are done with the photos, and they always seem to kind of draw you in. They make you want to look at them closer, and understand more about what is going on. Busath’s photos also bring out the caring relationships between a husband and wife, or the awe a mother has for her newborn child. He makes every season look beautiful. His black and white photography, the end results are truly masterpieces. Every time I look at them I think, I want to a photographer like him some day. Busath has studied the art of black and white for a considerable time and is a great master at it.

The theme that draws me to his photography the most, well, that would have to be the lighting. I am not sure how to put it into words, but the lighting is always so beautiful. There are never any shadows, or dark places. Every photo is beautifully illuminated and everything in the photo has a kind of glow to it. Busath’s outside lighting seems to give everything a beautiful glow if the sun is out. If the photos are done in a shaded place, the subject or subjects in the photo still are very bright. The lighting, especially in his inside studio, is soothing in a way.

A piece of work that I especially am drawn to would have to be the singles that Busath does. I have friends or friends of my sisters or cousins that I take photos for and I love trying to create beautiful pictures of them, like Busath does in his photography. Everyone looks amazing in his photos, and I enjoying trying to recreate that same theme. Finding poses, places, or lighting that make each person look amazing through my camera’s lens is a fun challenge. Studying and experimenting with different kinds of light and ways to use it make photography even more enjoyable.

I have become more aware of how much lighting can affect a photograph by trying to learn from Busath’s photos. The lighting in his photos is so perfect. Even though it can be very difficult to get good lighting, it is very much worth working for the perfect lighting because it will either make or break a photograph. I enjoy learning from professionals and masters because of the great emotion that is in every photo, whether of people or nature or inanimate objects. They always can bring out the beauty of the main focus in their photo.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Thanks for submitting your second assingment!

It’s always quite special to learn about my students’ opinions and thoughts on photography.

Everyone has such a unique perspective.

The assignment reads:

Lesson 2: Assignment
    Assignment Title: Inspiration

What you need to do for this assignment is write a 500 word paper (approximately 1 page) on a photographer or artist that has had an impact on yourself as an artist. In this article you need to identify 2 important things.

1. A particular piece of work they created which was of particular importance to you.
    2. What theme within their work is of greatest importance to you (i.e. war, love, family, color etc)

We will review this assignment based on originality and perspective. There are no right or wrong answers. The aim of this assignment is to get you thinking about your own area of interest within the realm of photography.

As mentioned in the assignment this is not high school… There is no correct way to do this assignment. The fact that you’ve written about what you think about photography and refined it into a short essay means you’ve completed the assignment.

I noticed you mentioned:

It can sometimes be hard to find good photographers out there,

Here’s a list of great photographers you can check out…
    http://photographyicon.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=965

I hadn’t heard of Drake Busath but after a quick review of his work online I can see why you’d have an affinity for his work. That is, mainly because you seem to be interested in light and portraits. Both of which appear to be his forte…

The fact that you’ve realized that lighting and portraits are what ‘turns your crank’ in photography means you’re already ahead of the game. Many people take years to figure out they love landscapes, or sports, or wildlife photography.

Great work on this. I look forward to you next submission.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Also, another note.

I was re-reading your essay and I noticed this phrase:

I constantly surf the web

This phrase should read:

I constantly shoot photos!

You can only learn so much from other photographers’ websites etc… Get out and SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT!!!!

Always be shooting!

😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.