Lesson 2: Ansel Adams

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Cassandra Arellano
    Participant

Out of all the photographers in the word I have always been drawn to Ansel Adams photographs since I was a kid. I know we just over his life and his contributions to photographers around the world which makes me feel like I should pick another photographer. When I looked at other photographers and artist to inspire me I keep getting drawn back to Ansel Adams. Nobody really inspired me like he has with his work.
    Lets recap what we went over about Ansel Adams in the lesson real quick. Ansel created the Zone System which is helps photographers determine correct exposure. It also helps determine a desired development time that optimizes for the ideal gradation of gray value. He also one of the photographers that helped form F/64 group. This group efforts were mainly focused on accomplished the greatest depth of field with sharpest possible reproduction of details. He founded a school in California for Photography. Ansel is known for his black and white photographs specially the ones taken in the northwest region.
    Every time I would see one of Ansel Adams photographs I would stand there in amazement. He would capture landscapes that you would see all the little details that people usually just walk on by every day. I believe it takes talent to capture a moment that still shows every little details that made that moment stunning. It has inspired me to capture the world in each photographs that you can see every small detail from the pebbles on the ground to the rolling mountains. I also love how he could show all the details even in black and white photographs. As you can probably tell his landscapes are important to me.
    I love the majority of his photographs which makes it hard to just pick one. Since I have to pick one I would pick Pine Cone and Eucalyptus leaves taken in San Francisco, California, 1932. This is one of his black and white photographs. This picture captures the essences of the eucalyptus leaves by showing ever little speck of dirt on each one. As for the pine cone you can see every section of it. You can see all the burse and bumps that it has obtained over the years or just months. Also you can see each layer from the bottom to how it folds over the next layer bottom until makes it to the top. He made this picture important to me because he took the simplest of things and turned it into something magical. Reminding me not to take the smallest things in life for granted.
    I usually could come up with more to say but it hard to put my thoughts into words special if it telling someone how someone or thing is important to me. It like tell someone how water taste which is impossible. Ansel Adams had an amazing eye for details and beauty. He also had many contributions to the world of photography which will never be forgotten.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Here is a great documentary about ansel adams:

http://youtu.be/wWxmv4iT3TI

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Here is the photograph you mentioned.

Pine Cone and Eucalyptus Leaves, San Francisco, California 1932

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I’m glad that you’ve submitted your assignment.

The idea behind the assignment was really to just get you to refine what inspires you and to have that knowledge in your back pocket if you will.

Ansel Adams is certainly one of the masters of photography.

Don’t worry about struggling with putting things into words. Just keep taking photographs and let them speak for you.

You’ve done really well here.

See you on the next assignment.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.