Lesson 3

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Please find attached my second assignment. Looking forward to hearing from you!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on this assignment.

This was your first technical assignment that was aimed and allowing you to showcase your understanding of both shutter speed and aperture. Great work.

In your first shot you’ve used a slightly slower shutter speed which has allowed you to slightly blur the movement of the water. Most importantly the static parts of the image (i.e. the rocks and small amounts of grass) stay sharp and remain in focus. Generally speaking, photographs such as the one you’ve taken, are best composed using a tripod. That is how you can ensure the sharpest focus. It also allows you to keep your shutter open longer which helps further exaggerate the illusion of movement within the water (without compromising the stillness of the surrounding environment).

The only thing I would like you to consider for future shots similar to this one would be to incorporate a sense of depth and a less “formal” balance. Most of the action is in the dead center of your composition. Playing with symmetry can be an interesting design element to experiment with, but I’m not sure this environment lends itself perfectly to a symmetrical composition.

For example look at the following photograph:

http://www.fineartphotoblog.com/wp-content/uploads/botanical-gardens-800px.jpg

Notice the strong sense of depth (foreground, middle-ground and background)? Also notice the “informal balance” which allows the image to be “weighted” in a less central way. You should also notice the minimal number of colors in the image’s color palette.

Notice how most of your action takes place in 1 geographic layer (foreground) which causes your image to appear 2 dimensional and flat. That’s not always wrong, but I want to see you experimenting with depth when possible.

In fact, your second photograph is a great example of a composition with a strong sense of depth. You have a very pronounced foreground that trails off into a warm middle-ground. What I also love about this image is your strong sense of color design. Your color palette consists primarily of white, green and yellow which helps you simplify this image and make it enjoyable and easy to look at.

Overall, great work on this assignment! I look forward to seeing what you create next!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.