Lesson 3

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Terrance
    Participant

Busy week .. Took awhile to think of what shots would fit the assignment

Thanks

Terry

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great images for this technical assignment. This assignment was meant as an opportunity for you to showcase your understanding of both depth of field and shutter speed. Both of your shots showcase your understanding of these technical features very well.

That being said, I do have some comments to make regarding the composition of both images. You haven’t learnt a lot of what I’m about to say yet but I think it’s a good idea to get you thinking about these things a little sooner anyways. This way, when you make it to those lessons you’ll have some practical experience and you’ll be able to apply the knowledge based on your previous photographic assignments.

For starters, you have decided to shoot black and white. Generally speaking, black and white photographs need to have a wide tonal range to have depth and a sense of drama. Color photographs on the other hand can communicate this through contrasted colors or analogous colors, or highly saturated colors, or de-saturated colors. The point is, that a lot can be communicated through color. It really helps set the tone of the photograph.

However, you don’t have that ability with black and white photograph. In a black and white photograph a dark red and dark blue will be undistinguishable. It will just look dark. For this reason you need to think in terms of tone and tonal range. Both of your images are fairly flat because they have an overabundance of greys and they don’t have enough of either bright whites or very dark blacks. Sometimes underexposing the image slightly can help with this issue, but generally you’ll need to start to learn to see in tones (something that is not easy to do and will require a lot of time). You’ll need to find natural settings that lend themselves well to black and white photography. 1 composition that may look great for color photograph may be very flat and boring as a black and white photograph.

Other than that my only other comment is with regards to your outdoor photograph. Notice how the foreground image is completely cutting off a big part of the background image. You need to be careful how your objects related to each other in the photograph. Sometimes repositioning yourself will allow you to show both objects without one object cutting into the other one. It’s not necessarily wrong, I just want you to start thinking about these things when you’re out in the field doing work.

Other than that, I think these are both beautiful photographs that accomplish exactly what was asked from you. Great work. I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.