Lesson 3 Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ChristopherP
    Participant

I found he first part of this assignment very difficult. I have taken a hundred photos of busses, cars and monorails but I can’t seem to get it right. The subject keeps looking like it is shaking while the background is in motion blur. I’ve used manual focus and auto-focus. I need to move forward through the lessons and don’t want to be stuck on this one so I went ahead and posted the best image I had even though it doesn’t have enough lead room and is not framed perfectly. Hopefully, I’ll be able to go back and post up a better one before I’m done with the lessons.

Thanks for looking.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Regarding the motion aspect of this assignment. Take a look at this video and it should clear up any problems you have with panning.

I like your photo fo the zombie toy but there is room for some improvement. First it appears as though you have cropped the image after the fact. That’s fine but the ideal scenario is to crop with your camera. In other words compose and frame the shot you want in-camera. Only if you absolutely cannot get the image you want, only then do you crop your images on the computer after the fact.

This photograph was taken under fairly dark conditions. You may not have had the choice but it would have better to shoot these under better lighting.

Given the darkness of the light, you shot this at ISO 1600 which has resulted in quite a bit of noise on the image. This is unnecessary because your subject matter is not moving (or at least I hope it’s not moving!) and you could have shot this on a tripod at a far lower ISO. When you have static (non moving) objects you should taken advantage and shoot lower ISOs…

I’m glad you have tried to manual focus this image but take a look at this image at 100% and you will see the focus is not tack sharp. The shirt is in, and the face is out.

Finally don’t forget to check your white balance. Your camera is set to auto white balance in this image and the resulting photograph is quite pinkish/yellow. The zombie’s shirt should be white…

I wish I had gotten to this image sooner. Next time I will get to your images faster.

See you on the next assignment.

Thanks!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.