Lesson 3 Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Michelle
    Participant

For the slow shutter speed picture, I used a tripode and the camera self-timer mode, it was a challenge because I had to hurry up in the dark and write the word with a flash light! For the shallow depth of field picture, I was trying to take a spontaneous picture of my 1 year old nephew.

Looking forward to your critique

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

The “light” photograph is spectacular. Congratulations on that shot. That requires a great deal of technical skill to that a shot like that accurately.

From a technical standpoint both photographs achieve what was asked from you in this assignment. Your first photograph captures movement in an artistic manner, while your second photograph isolates your main object from the background by using a shallow depth of field. Great work!

From a composition standpoint your first image is great. The image lends itself well to a simple and clutter free composition. You’ve done that very well. The black simply acts as negative space and the viewer’s full attention in placed on the letters of the word “light”.

In your second image the focus is predominantly on the facial expression of the young child. It’s quite an energized and entertaining photograph. It’s full of emotion which is one of the most important elements of a portrait like this. However, I feel the composition could be slightly stronger.

I like how you’ve changed your position to be on the baby’s level, and the image is full of texture (in the hair, face, outfit, background etc), but it would have been interesting to see if you could have framed the image using only the bed, blackest and pillows as the background. The shallow depth of field blurs out the context of the right side of the photograph so it’s not distracting, but the texture of the bedding also provides context. The right side of the photograph is not distinguishable so it doesn’t really enhance the photograph too much. There is the reddish / orange section which is interesting, but it’s very subtle so I think just changing your angle to remove that section would be something worth experimenting with.

What you’ve done isn’t wrong, I just want you to be aware of what your background is, and how it either enhances or detracts from your photograph.

Great work! Keep up the good job!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.