Lesson 3 Assignment B

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Maria Grice
    Spectator

Here is my second submission for Lesson 3. My daughter loves playing with umbrellas and getting to do so in the rain with her dad was a bonus. I tried to capture the raindrops from the umbrella. I would have liked this photo to be a bit sharper maybe but I quite like the emotion behind it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Maria,

Thank you for submitting another assignment. I appreciate your patience with my as I get well.

Here is the EXIF data for this photograph:

Rainy-Day-with-daddy.jpg

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Rainy-Day-with-daddy.jpg
    Date Time Original: 2013:02:08 11:47:44
    Exposure Time: 1/1250
    F Number: f / 3.20
    Exposure Program: Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings: 200
    Metering Mode: Partial
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 50mm
    White Balance: Manual white balance
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 550D
    LensModel: EF50mm f/1.8 II
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 5184
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3456
    Maker Note: 814
    User Comment: 8332
    Date Time Digitized: 2013:02:08 11:47:44
    Subsec Time: 13
    Subsec Time Original: 13
    Subsec Time Digitized: 13
    Shutter Speed Value: 10.38
    Aperture Value: 3.38
    Focal Plane X Resolution: 5728.18
    Focal Plane Y Resolution: 5808.40
    Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 2
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Exposure Mode: 1
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 8596
    ExifIFDPointer: 348
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    X Resolution: 72
    Y Resolution: 72
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2013:02:08 11:47:44

You’ve done a nice job capturing this image. If you we’re trying to highlight the raindrops in particular you’ve done a pretty good job.

You mentioned you’d like the image to be a bit sharper. You know you are getting really into photography when you want your image to be sharper. I think we all want that! Sharp as a tack!

In this case it’s a little dark and so you could raise your ISO a little or let more light in. It’s a tough situation here because you have fast moving objects in a relatively dark environment.

You will find there are limits to what can be achieved and you will often have to struggle to get the look you want.

In this case I think you’ve created a nice image but the composition feels a bit awkward. It’s always difficult to photograph someone when a part of their head is cut off by the frame of the image. It just doesn’t feel right for some reason.

Whatever the case you’ve captured motion here by freezing the raindrops and using a fast shutter speed to do so. Good job!

What’s more you’ve created a nice image that captures a really nice moment. You now have this photograph forever. It is locked in time and it is yours!!

I would advise you to keep practicing and work on your depth of field control.

See you on the next assignment and than you for waiting for me!!!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.