Lesson 3 – Finding Depth and Motion

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steven
    Participant

The panning camera technique of capturing motion is not one that I have used very often. I forgot how difficult it can be to get even one area sharp. I am also finding that “automated everything” digital cameras can take away from my awareness of things like depth of field. With everything on auto I tend to take mindless snapshots instead of photos that I have to think about.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on this assignment.

The objective of this assignment was to allow you to spend some time and getting acquainted with the mechanical details of your camera. Our main focus for this assignment was a technical focus. We wanted to ensure that you understand how the mechanical parts of your camera help you in your quest in creating strong visual stories.

For instance, in your first photograph the shallow depth of field helps you isolate your audience’s attention on the most important part of the composition. You’ve slightly softened the background, not in an attempt to remove it or make it an abstract element, but you’ve just slightly softened it so it still provides your audience with a sense of context and environment. Essentially, using selective focus is a photogapher’s way of placing and importance and emphasis within their visual story.

This composition is also great because it uses a simplified color palette consisting of predominantly of gradients of greens and browns. This helps you ensure there is no “color clutter” which helps keep your composition clean and easy to navigate.

I’m also really impressed with your second photography (bike). This is a very technically complex composition and you’ve done a great job creating the illusion of movement in a 2 dimensional medium.

Similarly, this composition abides by the rule of thirds (i.e. horizon line on the top third of the frame). Likewise, it also uses a simplified color palette of two complimentary colors (green and red).

My only recommendation for you at this point would be to experiment with balance. Both of your photographs tend towards a more “formal” balance set up (i.e. the main object is located in the middle of the frame). This isn’t wrong, and balance should be determined on a case by case basis, but in your upcoming assignments I want to see you focus on using a more “informal” balance, which will help you create more dramatic compositions.

Other than that… great work! I look forward to seeing your next assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.