Lesson 3 – Motion & Depth of Field

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The motion assignment, I understand it in theory – in practice, it’s tough! So I will definitely keep trying.
    [attachment=0:2fuzc0ui]motion.jpg[/attachment:2fuzc0ui]

[attachment=1:2fuzc0ui]shallow.jpg[/attachment:2fuzc0ui]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work. Both of these photographs accomplish exactly what was asked from you for this assignment. With your movement photograph you’ve chosen one of the most difficult strategies. You’ve tried to follow a moving foreground subject with your camera, which allows you to keep them in focus, while slightly blurring the background.

Overall, I think you’ve done a great job with this image. You’re right that it is difficult and much easier in theory than in practice, but you’re well on your way to using it in practice. Your foreground subject is still slightly blurred, but he’s substantially less blurred than your background. Walking subjects are difficult because there is not only horizontal movement across the frame, but people bounce slightly when they walk so there is also vertical movement which is hard to compensate with your camera. Objects such as trains, people on bikes, or people who walk with very little bounce make the best subjects for this technique because you only need to compensate for one direction of movement.

Your depth of field photograph is also very well executed. You’ve successfully isolated your foreground elements by softening the focus of your background. That being said, I would re-considering your frame with this photograph. I’m not sure I agree with your amputation points. For instance, look at the round blue ball on the top of the frame. It’s not far enough back to be out of focus, and therefore your audience places significant emphasis on it. Audience’s are more forgiving with background objects when they are out of focus, but primary foreground objects need to be treated with much more care.

Other than that, you’ve done a great job with this assignment. Keep up the great work and keep challenging yourself!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.