Lesson 3: Using Camera’s Automatic Settings – Assignment

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 3 Lesson 3: Using Camera’s Automatic Settings – Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Beatriz
    Participant

Finally I picked the pictues I’m loading for this assignment. It took longer than I thought, but I had to analyze several of all the pictures I took to decide which ones to post.
    Here they are:
    [attachment=1:1viu3fiq]Hummingbird.JPG[/attachment:1viu3fiq][attachment=0:1viu3fiq]Long Horn.JPG[/attachment:1viu3fiq]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work on this assignment.

With this assignment our priority is on the technical understanding of the task at hand. However, we also want to see you start to incorporate strong design elements in each of your shots from this point on and you’ve done a great job of that with this assignment.

Let’s talk about how the camera controls have impacted this composition first. In your first image you’ve used a fast shutter speed to capture the stillness of the hummingbird (including their wings!). Great work.

In your second image you’ve used a shallow depth off field to isolate your main area of interest (i.e. the bull) in the middle-ground. Both your foreground and background are softened so they still help provide context, but they don’t distract the audience from the more important part of the photograph.

My only concern with this photograph is that I get the impression you wanted to incorporate the idea of pattern and line into the shot. The fence is the foreground is a great addition. It gives the audience the message that this isn’t a free ranging bull That is an important piece of information from a story telling standpoint. I also really love the pattern it creates without being obnoxious.

However, the top of the frame looses the sense of balance and symmetry a little because you’ve included a small piece of the top of the fence (At least that’s what I think it is). However, the top of the fence (wood?) is a bit more slender at the top-right than it is at the top-left. This may seem like a small issue, but it completely throws off the otherwise very strong sense of pattern, line, symmetry and balance. You could possibly fit this in Photoshop, but it would have been best to be aware of this when you were taking the shot so you could have repositioned yourself to make the correction.

It’s a fantastic shot though. I absolutely love it. I just want to make sure you pay attention to the small details.

Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.