Lesson 3: Using your camera’s auto settings

Photography Classes Online – Icon Photography School Forums Photography Lessons Lesson 3 Lesson 3: Using your camera’s auto settings

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

[attachment=0:2o9ru3hb]IMG_0196.JPG[/attachment:2o9ru3hb]

[attachment=1:2o9ru3hb]DSC_2154.JPG[/attachment:2o9ru3hb]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hello and sorry for the delay in grading this assignment. I’m not sure how we missed this one.

Your assignments have great compositional strength. I see how you’ve progressed since this point by looking at your fifth and sixth assignment, but this assignment has many strengths as well.

This was more a technical assignment then the other assignments you’ve completed were. You were asked to showcase your understanding of aperture and shutter speed. You’ve done a great job with both of those elements.

Your first image uses a slow shutter speed to provide the illusion of movement. This image is great because the static elements of the image (i.e. rocks, sky, trees) are in great focus. That being said, I’m happy you’ve uploaded such a large copy of the image because when I enlarge it I still some room for improvement on the stillness of your camera. Images like this require not only a tripod, but you’ll also need to use `focus assist or “expanded“ focus to ensure your image is crystal clear. The image looks great when it’s small, but you’ll soon want to start enlarging your prints. Details like this can ruin a photograph in large format.

Your second image is also great. You’ve opened up your aperture to force a shallow depth of field. The design elements I love most about this image are the simplified color palette of reds and greens and the texture on the leaves and the berries.

My only two recommendations for this image are:

1: The image is full of hidden texture. The “fur“ on the stem of the plant, the fuzz and contours of the berries. It would have been nice if you used side lighting to help draw out more of those textures.

2: Secondly, I’m not sure if I agree with your formal balance. Placing the raspberry in the center of the composition makes the image less dramatic in my opinion. It’s not wrong what you’ve done but generally speaking abiding by the rule of thirds creates a less formal sense of balance and helps to dramatize an image.

Overall though… great work!

Again, sorry for the late response on this assignment.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.