Lesson 4

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Yelena
    Participant

I think its a pretty shot! Not sure how correct it is!)

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wow! You’re right, it’s an absolutely beautiful shot!

This assignment was designed to make you experiment with filters. I’m not sure what filter you’ve used with this shot, but my guess if you’ve applied either a green filter or a colored grad filter. This is my guess because I notice more of a color change in the sky and the mountains, while the foreground maintains a more natural appearance.

However, let’s spend our time looking at the composition of the shot. It’s beautiful and it’s worth analyzing. You can great color simplicity, harmony amongst the different layers of your shot and great use of negative space.

For starters, your photograph’s sense of depth is great. You’ve incorporated a strong foreground, middle ground and background. This has helped you create and exaggerate the illusion of three dimensions. It’s also ensured you have both an interesting background and a foreground which acts as a “stopper”. With many large landscape shots, photographers forget to include an object (i.e. stopper) that audiences eyes can rest on when they are not exploring the rest of the photograph. The boat in your foreground acts as that object. Great work!

Secondly, I appreciate your experimentation with perspective. Either that boat’s front comes up very high or you’ve changed your position to be low to the ground.

This leads me to my next point. I would have liked to see you experiment with the placement of your horizon line. I think your foreground is much more interesting than your sky. The sky provides a nice color highlight, but I think it would have been to your benefit to get closer to the ground, capture more of the sand in your foreground and include slightly less of the sky. This would help your image abide by the rule of thirds.

As a general rule of thumb, if a sky lacks any interesting elements (i.e. cloud formations), then generally the foreground should take up more of the composition.

Other than that, this is a great photograph! Wonderful work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.