lesson 4

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

i started to look for lens and filters but i still didnt get a chance to buy some, so for this assignement i just took a picture. I havent posted a lesson for a long time but i have been studying and trying a lot of things with my camera. I understand how filters and lens work and I cant wait to try them 🙂

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

This is, without a doubt, your strongest assignment yet. Congratulations.

You’ve made many technical corrections from your previous assignments and your hard work is paying off.

Let’s take a look at the compositional elements of this photograph.

First and foremost, your lighting is spectacular. The gentle side lighting helps you draw out the beautiful textures in this composition. Knowing how to use light is important, but knowing how to use shadow is even more important. You’re lighting is bright enough that your flower is properly exposed, but it’s not too bright that you loose the details, textures or shadows of the flower.

You’ve used a very dramatic color palette of black and yellow-orange. This has helped you ensure there is no “color clutter”. Similarly, you’ve used high saturation levels with helps the yellow “pop” out of the composition.

Likewise, you were very focused on your primary object of interest. No other distracting objects find their way into your composition. Your visual story is clearly about 1 thing (the beauty of the flower).

My only recommendation for you is for you to be cautious about your amputation points. Since you’ve used a shallow depth of field, the parts in the background that are cut off by one of the 4 walls of your photograph are not a big concern. My main concern is that you’ve placed sharp focus on the main flower (which is great), yet you’ve cut part of the flower off with the top and right wall of the frame.

As I’ve mentioned, I really like the color, I really like the lighting, I really like the angle and perspective and I really like your focus. But I find the amputation a little accidental looking because I’m not sure why you would want to amputate your main subject.

The good news is, that fixing this issue would simply require you changing your position in front of the flower (the easiest thing to change and one of the changes that has the biggest visual impact in a composition).

Other than that, you’ve done a great job. I look forward to seeing how you progress from here!

Keep up the great work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.