Lesson 4

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ashley Copple
    Spectator

I bought a set of filters, we had a storm rolling in and I used a color grad filter in blue for this picture

[attachment=0:cpma5h49]cloudspic.jpeg[/attachment:cpma5h49]

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Ashley,

Thanks for submitting another assignment.

Your choice of a blue grad filter here is interesting given the sky is already quite blue! Often when people use a blue grad filter they are trying to cool off the color of an image that is too warm.

What really matters here is that you’re playing with filters and learning how they impact your images. In this particular image (which I’m not sure is sharply in focus) you’ve seen what a grad filter can do.

I would recommend you trying this filter on a sunset or a landscape with a dull sky to add something a little extra to it.

Did you get any other filters? Have you tried using them at all?

Ashley Copple
    Spectator

Yes the set I bought has 9, there’s a grey grad, nd, and the rest are color grads. I’ve tried a few but not all of them yet. I was trying to make the blue parts of the sky more vibrant to stand out against the grey clouds, I guess that didn’t work lol.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Oh it did work, I just want you to keep playing around with them. Try setting up your camera on a tripod and then shoot with and without the filters on all of your filters using the same image. Then go and compare them after.

Try this in a few situations and have fun with it!

Ashley Copple
    Spectator

Ok, I will do that! It sounds fun lol. I find I really like the filters, especially the grey grad filter, I love the darkening effect it has, especially with black and white.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.