lesson 4

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Annie
    Participant

On this picture I use black and white with a green filter, I tried to capture the front flower as clear as the back one.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work and beautiful composition.

The image has many markings of a good black and white photograph. You haven’t reached that lesson yet, but a good black and white image does see the world in hues but instead in tones. Tonal range is the key to a good black and white photograph and that is exactly what this image processes. I can find deep blacks and vibrant whites in the same image which gives the “range” to the image and makes it dramatic and interesting. Too many grey tones and a lack of tonal range give a black and white photograph a “flat” look.

In fact, I’ve taken a levels reading of your image so you can see how the individual pixels are represented in your image. Dark tones are represented on the left and light tones are represented on the right.

My only concern with the image is that it’s very “noisy”. This makes the blacks look a bit milky and less vibrant. The usual culprit is too high of an ISO speed. Lower ISO will result in less noise and more crisp images. In lower lighting situations you might not be able to use a lower ISO, but with still images like this it’s worth setting your ISO to a lower number and then keeping your shutter open longer (using a tripod if possible). This should get rid of the noise problem.

Other than that great work.

The levels reading for your image is found below.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.