Lesson 4 Assignment

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

For this assignment I chose to use an ND 3.0 – 10 stop filter. I had been wanting to try creating a long exposure photo for some time. This filter allowed me to create a 2 minute and 1 minute exposure in bright sunlight. The attached photo was made with a 60 second exposure.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I updated the post and removed the extra attachment.

I’m going to critique this now.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

First off this is a lovely image. The colors are quite vibrant!

Here is the exif data for the image:

IMG_2719-1.jpg
    http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_2719-1.jpg
    Date Time Original: 2014:03:16 06:13:18
    Exposure Time: 63
    F Number: f / 11
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 22mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 6D
    LensInfo: 17/1 40/1 0/0 0/0
    LensModel: EF17-40mm f/4L USM
    LensSerialNumber: 0000000000
    Lens: EF17-40mm f/4L USM
    Exif Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Date Time Digitized: 2014:03:16 06:13:18
    Subsec Time Original: 00
    Subsec Time Digitized: 00
    Shutter Speed Value: -5.98
    Aperture Value: 6.92
    Max Aperture Value: 4
    Focal Plane X Resolution: 2540.39
    Focal Plane Y Resolution: 2543.93
    Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 2
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    ExifIFDPointer: 206
    X Resolution: 240
    Y Resolution: 240
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2014:03:18 08:44:21
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Windows)
    DateCreated: 2014-03-16T06:13:18.00

I have a few minor notes here.

One minor thing is to manually white balance or at least set it to match the light. (sunlight in this case) The colors here seem to be almost un-natural with the purples in the sky and the auto white balance might be the case.

The image is quite sharp and that’s great considering how long the exposure was. A trick some landscape photographers use, is to use a shutter release cable. Also some even weight dowm their cameras with sandbags to minimize any vibration from the shutter actuation of the camera itself.

An interesting thing to notice here is how your horizon line is perfectly straight but the image might

Overall you’ve really done well here and this is a very nice image for your portfolio.

Don’t be afraid to play with different aspect ratios.

For an image like this a 16×9 aspect ratio might work nicely.

Notice also here how sometimes the dynamic range of the is just too much for a camera. The sun is white hot and the darks are very dark.

Check out the shadow highlighting in lightroom to see where you are losing detail in the darks and highlights

Preview highlight and shadow clipping in lightroom:
    http://help.adobe.com/en_US/lightroom/using/WS70DAEA13-F6F0-4a77-B569-AC55951C8F66.html

The main thing here is that you’ve chosen a good filter, you’ve used the filter properly, and you’ve done some experimenting with something you’ve always wanted to do. All of which is totally fantastic!

Job well done. Keep playing and experimenting with your ND filter. They are fantastic for landscape photography.

See you on the next assignment.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Also I’m doing some work on fixing up this site so please be patient if there are any glitches/weirdness.

Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback. I will keep it in mind for the next time I get to make a shot like this one.
    I did use a tripod and a shutter release cable, although I did not weigh down the tripod. I should have since it was a bit windy. Was a cold morning but a lot of fun taking these shots!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Oh yes I know the feeling. Always dress warmer than you think. Standing around taking photos makes your super cold and by design we’re almost always needing to be shooting at the colder parts of the day.

A handy tip is also to bring a thermos with some warm coffee or tea. This is really nice if you have to wait for the light and you’re just standing around.

Do you have a website setup?

Some good tips, thanks!

I’m working on getting my own website up but haven’t gotten there yet. For now most of my work is up on Flickr here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyb53/

Actually, I have been following your photostream for a few weeks now, its quite nice!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Excellent. *followed*

I will add your link to the new student directory.

If you want a bio or more info on that page there let me know and I will update it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.