Lesson 4 using Circluar Polarizer

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Roberto
    Participant

As I mentioned in my last submission, I live in California. To be more specific I live in Santa Barbara County and as you have probably seen in the news, we are on fire (which will explain the haze in the image). The fire is only about 20 miles from us now, so visibility is a little low. I actually work for Art Craft Paint we refurbish aircraft. The aircraft in this image is actually one that we had painted about 10 years ago. Our facility is right on the field so I was only about 50 yards from the runway. I used a Circular Polarizer on a 70-300mm lens.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Beautiful image!

There are so many strong technical elements to this photograph. Let’s start by discussing those first.

I was most impressed by your ability to isolate your layers. If the plane was just a little lower, the horizon line would have been interrupted. While that wouldn’t have necessarily been wrong, I think your choice of positioning is perfect for this photograph.

Not only that, but as the audiences eyes wonder towards your horizon line, we are greeted with very distinct layers of color. In the closest layer we have a yellow / brown field. After that we have a green middle ground which comes just slightly before the small light brown mountains in the background.

The earth-tone colors of your backdrop are slightly less saturated due to the subtle atmospheric element. This further helps isolate the high saturation of the colors within the airplane.

Not only are your layers and color palette well organized and clear, but the image is also strong from an object placement and composition standpoint. Your horizon line abides by the rule of thirds and there is slightly more room in front of the plane then behind it, giving the photographs a well balanced look.

The one thing I would like to you see you experiment with more is your placement as a photographer. Camera placement is the easiest thing to change yet it’s experimented with very little. We love to take photographs standing up and most of our photographs are images that represent our height as humans. But try experimenting by laying down and shooting up or getting up on higher objects. Try to experiment with camera placement for your next assignment and see what visual ideas it helps stimulate.

Great work.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.