Lesson 5

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Melody
    Participant

Here is my photo for lesson 5.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Great work. In my opinion, this is your strongest photograph yet. You’ve corrected many of the issues we’ve discussed in your previous assignments.

Most notably, your ability to organize the 4 walls of your photograph has improved greatly. Your last photograph was very strong as well, but there was the 1 technical issue with the bottom of the frame. However, in this photograph all of those issues have been corrected.

Not only that, but you’ve used a strategic use of shallow depth, not only to help exaggerate the illusion of 3 dimensions, but also help you isolate your main area of interest.

What I love most about this image is the highlight of the butterfly. Flower photographs are plentiful and make for great subject’s but they often fail to provide enough engaging content to keep the viewer’s attention. However, your implementation of the butterfly complicates the image just enough to make it engaging and worth further exploring.

My only issue with this image is that it suffers from “noise”, which is strange because it looks like you have sufficient lighting and your previous photographs didn’t seem to suffer from the same “grainy” look. It’s likely because of your ISO setting.

Generally speaking, this additional noise should be avoided where possible. While film camera grain often adds an interesting element to a photograph, with digital cameras the discoloration and pixilation is often considered less aesthetically appealing. Try setting your camera to a lower ISO speed (i.e. 50, 100 or 200). Larger ISO speeds, although necessary for low light shooting, will sometimes create more pixilation than you would want in your photographs.

Other than that…. Great work!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.