lesson 5

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Annie
    Participant

this picture is of a flowers that is in the water,, very light blue with orange

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Very interesting!

I like knowing that your experimenting with atmosphere. Water is a great element to experiment with.

Overall, the composition is very strong. You’ve used a lot of negative space to help further isolate the importance of your main object. What I would have liked to see you experiment more with in this image is the texture of the water itself. Right now, both the water and the flower are on the same layer of depth. It makes the image a little flat. I think if you wet the flower and floated it on top of the water or partially sunk the flower you would be able to incorporate a stronger sense of depth and the flower would be full of texture. We would be able to see the water drops, the difference in above and below water and different layers.

You’ve used this a little bit on the right side of the flower were a bit of flower seems to be peeking up. That really interests me, but I would have liked to see more of it.

Everything else with the composition is great. You have a simplified and vibrant color palette, strong informal balance and great focus. Let’s just experiment a little more with texture (which can be brought out with nice side lighting) and layering / depth.

Also, what about playing with reflection? That could also help you add interesting layers! Think of creative things the water could reflect.

Great work overall!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.