Lesson 5

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Frederick
    Participant

Re-posts. Fred.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hey Fred!

So you’ve submitted a few photographs here.

I’ve noticed a trend in your work. You’ll need to start thinking more abour exposure than anything else.

Your first photo, although nice, has some serious areas that are “blown out”. Meaning completely overexposed and white. Take a look at the sky in the frame.

Your second photo is your strongest image to date and it meets the criteria for this assignment perfectly!

You’ve taken some basic colors and made them clear up your frame and you’ve created a very simple image that is pleasing to the eye! I like it! The composition of the frame is interesting but it feels a bit off for some reason. Don’t forget about your golden ratio and the rule of thirds. After that, don’t forget to break those rules for a reason 😉

Your third photo is also nice but take note of the lens flare in the frame. You could remove this in photoshop lightroom or apple aperture quite easily. What’s better is using a lens hood when you shoot to avoid these. If your lens hood still can’t block it out you can just hold your hand up and put the shadow of your hand on the front of the lens. Just be sure your hand is out of the frame though! 😉

Great work here.

Take note of how powerful simple colors are and how they work together to improve your images. Many times less is more and using simple but powerful color like this will dramatically improve the quality of your images.

Look at how vibrant and amazing these photos are. They have great color!

[attachment=1:4375f9h5]great-color-example.jpg[/attachment:4375f9h5]
    Palenqueras al natural by *L*u*z*A*, on Flickr

[attachment=0:4375f9h5]example-of-good-color.jpg[/attachment:4375f9h5]
    Mount Damavand by Hamed Saber, on Flickr

Onward!!!

😀

Frederick
    Participant

I am having trouble with focusing lately. I have be playing with the focusing dial inside the camera. (Canon 20d). Seems when I think it is in focus, it is slightly off. Could this be battery power weakening? Also, when I try to shoot in AV of TV mode, I’m having a bit trouble. Will keep plugging away at it though!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Fred

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Anything is possible when the battery is low.

Are you referring to manual or autofocus? If you have problems with both it could be a physical defect.

Does this issue creep up with all lenses or just one?

I would recommend doing some quick tests to figure out whats going on.

You can download a focus chart, print it out and start playing around with it.

Lemme know

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.