Lesson 5

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

Hi,

I tried to simplify the colors in this shot with my favorite color, blue. I’m hoping the orange stripe adds a subtle example of complimentary color.

Thanks,
    Steve

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

First of all… How did you take this photograph? Is it digitally altered? Is it a picture of a plane or a boat? I can’t help but be captivated by all of the missing answers to this photograph. This photography is very well done!

From a technical standpoint, you’ve done a great job. Using the orange and blue together work well to create a dramatic and highly contrasted look. Using color combinations such as blue and orange help the colors to jump out at you.

Your composition is wonderfully done with your photograph abiding by the rule of thirds and your objects placed accordingly.

Most impressive about this photograph however, is the level of engagement that it forces to the viewer to have with it. I can’t tell if I’m looking at clouds below a plane or the reflection of the sky in water on the bottom third of the picture. You’ve taken any sure signs away that would give the answer away and as a result your viewers are left engaging with your work.

Myself and other students would love to know more about how you took this shot. If you could share that with us it would be much appreciated.

Very well done.

Steve
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your comments, I almost didn’t submit the shot for the very reasons you liked it. Your review will allow me to look at my future photos for their hidden or subtle qualities, not to mention boosting my photographic confidence.

The picture is of one of our company aircraft, a Gulfstream IV. I am one of the pilots, so I can take a picture of the plane from any angle. The shot was taken standing behind the trailing edge of the right wing. I used a polarizing filter and took the shot in aperture priority at f/16. The clouds are reflecting on the wing and flap. The only digital work I did was to darken the sky slightly with Photoshop Elements.

Thanks again,
    Steve

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.