Lesson 5 Assignment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Deepak
    Participant

I tried to take a monochromatic photograph, mainly concentrating on the yellow/orange hues in the image.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Wonderful work!

There was no one right way to go about tackling this assignment, but what you’ve done shows both your understanding of color as well as shows your growing understanding of composition.

Let’s start by looking at the color of the photograph. The photograph consists of two main colors. The most prominent color is light brown. The image has a very earthy feel to it overall. However, you’ve also used small amounts of a darker toned color. It appears to be almost the color of charcoal. Not quite black, but not light enough to be grey. Seeing your gradients of browns speckled with this second color really helps your otherwise monochromatic photograph stand out.

I also like how it’s not evenly weighted in terms of colors. The charcoal color plays a much less significant role which gives the image an unbalanced color palette (which is, in my opinion, almost always more interesting). Great work.

From a composition standpoint you’ve also done a wonderful job. I love how the bottom of the frame represents where most of the action is. Just as a shot of a city skyline contains the majority of the action along the bottom of the frame, so does your shot. But instead of using buildings, you’ve used highly textured, curling and beautiful leaves. Great work.

The image almost lacks a “stopper” (i.e. an object to help hold the audience’s attention in the frame). However, on closer inspection I would say that the leaf on the right hand side of the frame (the one that curls the most) is the main focus of the image.

Overall, great work on this assignment!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.