Lesson 5 Assignment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I chose to go with complimentary colors for this lesson. This assignment took some time for me because I wanted to find natural colors to photograph and the winter has been fairly long here in NJ. Look forward to your feedback.
    Thanks!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi there,

Thank you for submitting your assignment. Don’t worry about taking your time to go through the course. The pace is totally up to you. Some people have take 2 years to finish the course. No stress, I would much rather you have fun learning and practising your shooting than worrying about the course or whatever.

Lets’ take a look at the EXIF data of this image:

IMG_3088.jpg

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/IMG_3088.jpg

Date Time Original: 2014:04:22 15:58:20
    Exposure Time: 1/400
    F Number: f / 4
    Exposure Program: Normal program
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 200mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 6D
    LensInfo: 70/1 200/1 0/0 0/0
    LensModel: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    LensSerialNumber: 0000000000
    Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    Exif Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Date Time Digitized: 2014:04:22 15:58:20
    Subsec Time Original: 00
    Subsec Time Digitized: 00
    Shutter Speed Value: 8.64
    Aperture Value: 4
    Max Aperture Value: 3
    Focal Plane X Resolution: 2540.39
    Focal Plane Y Resolution: 2543.93
    Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 2
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Saturation: Normal
    ExifIFDPointer: 234
    X Resolution: 240
    Y Resolution: 240
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2014:04:27 20:35:49
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.4 (Windows)
    Artist: John Boccanfuso
    DateCreated: 2014-04-22T15:58:20.00

This is a fantastic image and your choice of colours is perfect! It’s rare for me to not have anything major to improve on someones photograph but this image is nearly perfect. There is nothing for me to add about the colour of this photograph and you’ve obviously understood the assignment! You can see here how important colour is right?! Now apply this idea of colour and simplicity of colour to your work where possible.

What’s more your exposure is excellent (although there a few minor highlights in your histogram), the image is tack sharp, and your depth of field is perfect.

I only have two minor notes here, although your image matches the golden ratio very well the image still does feel a bit cramped on the right side of the frame. I would move the the flower just slightly to the left to balance the composition a little more.

The second minor note is that when you post process your image don’t forget it’s generally acceptable to remove things from your image to clean things up so long as it doesn’t change the story of the image in any meaningful way. In this case there is a little brown spot in the lower left of the frame that took my eye away from that gorgeous flower.

Oh and finally don’t forget to control your white balance, leaving it on Auto will make for some weirdness over time. Expecially when you are worried about colour…

Don’t get me wrong, I had to really struggle to nitpick here and you’ve done a great job on this assignment.

One thing that’s worth noting in this photo is that it’s a perfect example of how different an image can look and different sizes. Look at your image very very large, and also look at thumbnail size to see what I mean. When the image is tiny the lily pads almost look like they’re in focus. This should tell you quite a bit about how important good focus can be and the tiny camera screen on the back of your camera can lie to you 😉

I’ll attach a screenshot to show you can see what I mean, just look at how different they can appear.

Overall you’ve done an outstanding job here and I hope you remember just how important colour is for your images. Often just even simplifying colour can massively improve your images.

Nice work.

See you on the next assignment!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Thank you for your feedback. I completely missed that brown spot in corner, thanks for pointing it out!

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

I had to nitpick to find something wrong. 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.