Lesson 5 Assignment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Alan Hsieh

Hi there. I’m back!

I wanted to photograph some macaroon looks vibrant and dreamy, so I chose the complementary color of green and I decrease a little bit Vibrance by Lightroom 5.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Alan,

Welcome back.

Here is the exif data for this image:
    http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/IMG_9258.jpg

Date Time Original: 2014:07:29 22:19:06
    Exposure Time: 1/2
    F Number: f / 4
    Exposure Program: Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings: 200
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash fired, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 200mm
    White Balance: Manual white balance
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 6D
    LensInfo: 70/1 200/1 0/0 0/0
    LensModel: EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    LensSerialNumber: 000084f6cc
    Lens: EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    Exif Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Date Time Digitized: 2014:07:29 22:19:06
    Subsec Time Original: 00
    Subsec Time Digitized: 00
    Shutter Speed Value: 1
    Aperture Value: 4
    Max Aperture Value: 4
    Focal Plane X Resolution: 1520
    Focal Plane Y Resolution: 1520
    Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 3
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Exposure Mode: 1
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Saturation: Normal
    ExifIFDPointer: 228
    X Resolution: 240
    Y Resolution: 240
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2014:07:29 22:50:19
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.4 (Windows)
    Artist: AlanHsieh
    DateCreated: 2014-07-29T22:19:06.00

This image is excellent from a color perspective however it has a bit of camera shake going on.

Did you shoot this handheld? Ideally in this situation if you can’t stabilize your camera on something (like a tripod or whatever) than you’d have to shoot a little faster shutter speed or turn up the iso a little or change your fstop as well. In other words do whatever you need to to sharpen it up. At this slow of a shutter speed handheld just does not work. But don’t worry too much about the sharpness here, what’s important is that you see the color and you work with the color to make poweful images.

Color is one of the most underestimated and important aspects of great photogrpahy. It’s a remarkably complex subject and you can go really deep with it but even just learning the basics of the color wheel as we have done here will improve your images. I highly recommend you experiment with color in your learning and in your images.

If you don’t mind my asking, are you practicing and shooting lots? Is there anything in particular that is confusing to you right now?

Also don’t worry if you have to go away for a while. You’re always welcome back here.

Alan Hsieh

Yeah… there is a problem confusing to me that sometimes I feel my photographs are nothing new even boring. Although I know my technique is improving by taking these lessons, it still make me depressed. That’s why I didn’t shoot much these days. However, I think the answer is just keep shooting and practicing, so don’t worry I won’t give up.

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Yes don’t give up! Ever!

If you don’t like the stuff you are shooting maybe just do something different.

As the famous Jim Richardson quote goes:
    “If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of better stuff.”

Try doing something different, go somewhere and take pictures or go to en event and take photos.

Alternatively try a different style, if you’re shooting lots of landscapes shoot some portraits etc etc or try some light painting.

Whatever you do, don’t give up.

Keep playing, keep practicing, keep learning.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.