Lesson 5 Assignment

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

In this assignment, I decided to introduce a little color by creating a blue-purple cast. In this instance, I switched the white balance to ‘white florescent light’.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Maxine,

It’s great that you’re flying through the assignments.

I hope you’re getting alot out of the process!

Here is the exif data for your image:

IMG_4638.jpg
    http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/IMG_4638.jpg

Date Time Original: 2014:10:15 19:19:02
    Exposure Time: 30
    F Number: f / 20
    Exposure Program: Shutter priority
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
    Focal Length: 16mm
    White Balance: Manual white balance
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 6D
    LensInfo: 16/1 35/1 0/0 0/0
    LensModel: EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
    LensSerialNumber: 1800004249
    Lens: EF16-35mm f/4L IS USM
    Exif Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Date Time Digitized: 2014:10:15 19:19:02
    Subsec Time Original: 53
    Subsec Time Digitized: 53
    Shutter Speed Value: -4.91
    Aperture Value: 8.64
    Max Aperture Value: 4
    Focal Plane X Resolution: 1520
    Focal Plane Y Resolution: 1520
    Focal Plane Resolution Unit: 3
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Saturation: Normal
    ExifIFDPointer: 208
    X Resolution: 240
    Y Resolution: 240
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2014:10:15 21:04:56
    Software: Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Macintosh)
    DateCreated: 2014-10-15T19:19:02.53

In terms of the color portion of the assignment I think you did well. The images is quite simple and elegant from a color perspective. So job well done.

Speaking of “perspective” I would like you to take special note of how your wide angle lens is distorting this building. Notice how far away the back portion of the building looks compared to the closer portion.

Always remember that when you use a telephoto lens and zoom in on something it compresses everything like a pancake, whereas the wider angle does the opposite and makes things appear farther apart than they are.

You can use this knowledge to add something special to your images. For example if you wanted to make something feel busy and overwhelming you could add everything to the frame using a telephoto lens and vice versa.

Just be aware of the distortion that comes with each. In this case it’s wide angle distortion.

Again, the distortion is something you can use to your advantage. For instance if you want to make a room look bigger than it really is use a super wide lens. This is what hotels usually do to make their rooms look big.

But back to the color here… The color is lovely here and quite simple. As such, the viewer doesn’t have to work very hard when they look at the image and therefore it’s quite pleasing to the eye.

Just remember that going forward you really want to think about color. Make color a priority in the way that you make focus a priority. Your images will improve dramatically!

I really like that you’re using white balance creatively. Experimentation is a great way to learn. What’s more I think it works well here and the colors aren’t too unrealistic so that’s great. Just remember sometimes it’s good to have a clean image without too much experimentation on it as a backup. It takes 2 seconds to shoot the “clean” version so I usually do that to make sure I have it both ways. Keep experimenting and playing like this, it’s awesome!

One final note, there appears to be some dust on your sensor or lens. You can use lightroom to remove it.

Here’a a tool for that in lightroom:
    http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/enhanced-spot-removal.html

Ideally you want to clean your sensor and lens so you don’t have to do this.

You can clean your sensor yourself if you’re careful. Pretty much all the products by these guys work really well.

Remember you can always ask questions over email at office@photographyicon.com or just reply here.

Nice work.

See you on the next assignment.

Thanks Duncan, for your feedback. I really do like that spot removal tool.

Initially, when I went out shooting for this assignment, the first image I took had less distortion, but I thought it was less interesting. The 2nd one (submitted), I was seeking a different perspective, would it have improved the image if I had cropped it? I guess I was also concerned with ‘amputating’ the image in the wrong place. Attached are both the initial and cropped image. Thanks again.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

No you did the right thing and the image you submitted is the best of the bunch!

If you really want to get into architecture photography you’ll want to invest in and learn a good tilt shift lens. Tilt shift lenses are great for correcting these kinds of distortions.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.