Lesson 5 assignment

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jess
    Participant

Here is my assignment for lesson 5, this was a photo shoot I did just after Christmas, it was great that they color coordinated and I thought it was a wonderful idea and time to actually find something to work on this assignment.
    I noticed the girls shirt is multiple shades of purple, while the guy is wearing a solid purple shirt making this photo monochromatic.

As I was editing, I also added a slight purple boarder.

Enjoy 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Jess,

Thanks for submitting your assignment. It’s nice to have you back!

First thing first here is the EXIF data on your image:

http://photographyicon.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/DSC_06391.jpg
    DSC_06391.jpg
    Date Time Original: 2014:12:27 11:37:33
    Exposure Time: 1/125
    F Number: f / 13
    Exposure Program: Manual
    ISO Speed Ratings: 100
    Metering Mode: Pattern
    Flash: Flash did not fire
    Focal Length: 34mm
    White Balance: Auto white balance
    Make: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D5100
    Exif Version:
    Flashpix Version:
    Color Space: 1
    Pixel X Dimension: 4928
    Pixel Y Dimension: 3264
    CompressedBitsPerPixel: 2
    Maker Note: 876
    User Comment: Jess Betzel Photography
    Date Time Digitized: 2014:12:27 11:37:33
    Subsec Time: 10
    Subsec Time Original: 10
    Subsec Time Digitized: 10
    Exposure Bias: 1.33
    Max Aperture Value: 4.60
    Light Source: Unknown
    Sensing Method: One-chip color area sensor
    File Source: DSC
    Scene Type: Directly photographed
    CFA Pattern: 860
    Custom Rendered: Normal process
    Exposure Mode: 1
    Digital Zoom Ration: 1
    Focal Length In 35mm Film: 51mm
    Scene Capture Type: Standard
    Gain Control: None
    Contrast: Normal
    Saturation: Normal
    Sharpness: Normal
    Subject Distance Range: Unknown
    InteroperabilityIFDPointer: 37214
    ExifIFDPointer: 228
    GPSInfoIFDPointer: 37244
    Orientation: 1
    YCbCr Positioning: 2
    X Resolution: 300
    Y Resolution: 300
    Resolution Unit: 2
    Date Time: 2014:12:27 11:37:33
    Software: Embettered by PicMonkey. http://www.picmonkey.co

One thing to note is that did you see how that company you used added their website to your image’s exif data?! That’s quite spammy of them isn’t it?! I suspect you used that picmonkey thing to add the purple border or your watermark?

I would highly recommend buying adobe lightroom and adobe photoshop. With those two applications a photographer can do literally anything you would ever need!

In terms of the assignment I like what you’ve done here and the colors work. Adding the purple border is not necessary here because the image is already chalk full of purple. That is unless of course your client requests that.

If anything a quick retouching of the spots on your subjects’ hands here would be a good idea.

Also for something like this your background is key. In this case it makes the entire image feel slanted down and to the right. In other words even if you can’t see the horizon in your images you’ll want to ensure it doesn’t detract from the image.

I’m personally not a fan of watermarks at all but here is an interesting way to add them to your images:

Overall you’ve done well here but remember that simplicity really works. In this case your colors are good but the forest in the background detracts from the image.

Keep it up and see you on the next assignment.

Jess
    Participant

I’ll look into lightroom, I had the trial and it was really confusing! Picmonkey is easy to understand. I’m hoping to save up for a better laptop so I can get elements or lightroom.

I used the purple boarder to make it look nice to show the client. They really liked the pictures I took and know that I don’t use photoshop but picmonkey.

Is there a reason why picmonkey does that? or a way to prevent that from happening?

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Hi Jess,

If you really want to take your photography seriously start using Adobe Lightroom. It might be confusing at first but it’s in your best interest to learn a program like that. If you look at this page there is a series of free video tutorials on how to use adobe lightroom: http://tv.adobe.com/product/lightroom/

With lightroom you can manage, edit, print, and share your photos all in one application. It really is the best photography software.

Picmonkey probably does it for SEO reasons. I don’t think there is a way to disable it but honestly I really don’t know.

If you have any questions just write back here or email office@photographyicon.com

Thanks!

Jess
    Participant

Thank you! Just got photoshop elements 13 last month! I really like it! I checked out that video and this guys other videos! I learned a lot and definitely know how to use water-marks better now!

Now on to lesson 6 🙂

Duncan Rawlinson
    Keymaster

Photoshop elements is a great start but I highly recommend Lightroom if you want to get serious about this stuff!

Keep it up!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.